Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some clipons that will make my Speed Triple feel like my Speed Four. I've done a lot of searching and reading. It seems that some of them make contact with the flyscreen or tank.

Can those more experienced than myself please comment on which ones will work without complication. It's greatly appreciated.

Woodcraft, LSL, Gilles Variobars, Telefix Profi 4 way adjustable, Hagon low bar, Converti-Bars ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Vortex clip-ons on my 07 S3. I love the look, however being a taller guy my wrists hurt after awhile. I never had this problem before on other bikes from the angle. I myself and looking for a solution...
Vortex 50mm clamps machined out to fit the 52mm forks.
I thought about ordering 52mm woodcraft clamps and ordering the riser's seperately and building my own.

·
Registered
360 Posts
They are super sharp looking. Can't seem to find them with 52mm clamps for an 08' though.
http://www.oppracing.com/products/780-gilles-tooling-variobars-spare-parts

Truly an investment as they are quite spendy but very high quality and allowing the adjustability to allow lock to lock movement without hitting instrument panel and available with a riser (extra $$) to retain decent ergo's.

Woodcrafts are great if your racing (appealing $$ too) but a total b!tch on the street or riding for distance, they have an aggressive angle that makes riding the S3 and hands down- a$$ up afair and totally makes the bike lose any pretense at comfort. Woodcrafts make the ergos on the S3 more aggressive and cumbersome to ride than any repli-racer I know of.

·
Registered
299 Posts
http://www.oppracing.com/products/780-gilles-tooling-variobars-spare-parts

Truly an investment as they are quite spendy but very high quality and allowing the adjustability to allow lock to lock movement without hitting instrument panel and available with a riser (extra $$) to retain decent ergo's.

Woodcrafts are great if your racing (appealing $$ too) but a total b!tch on the street or riding for distance, they have an aggressive angle that makes riding the S3 and hands down- a$$ up afair and totally makes the bike lose any pretense at comfort. Woodcrafts make the ergos on the S3 more aggressive and cumbersome to ride than any repli-racer I know of.
Do you have these on your S3? Any pics?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you have these on your S3? Any pics?
I dont have the Gilles, I have a set of Tommaselli multi-adjustable clip ons from Italy, had 'em a while and they work perfectly, cost about $340 as I recall. But had investigated and was very interested in the Gilles myself. I saw them installed on a bike last summer and they look very good. In the end I just couldnt justify paying twice for a question/problem I had already found a solution for.

These pics are old but you get the jist:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like my Vortex....but prepare for the full Ducati Fetal Position!!! lol:p

·
Registered
360 Posts
So where can I buy them Tommaselli clip ons?

The fellas at http://www.motomeccaspares.com/ refuse to get back to me. Are there any other vendors for these bars that will take my money AND provide the bars? :mad:
That's a damn shame, Motomeccaspares are UK based but still have to secure them from the Tommaselli source in Italy. They are a primary source for these clip-ons. So long as you understand the Italians and their lack of haste in getting items to you with northern European promptness (lol), loquacious way of saying "be prepared to sit a wait until they arrive".

Other source you might try if they are still about is 'Cosmopolitan Motors' (vintagecosmo) cosmotor.com, (here is their online store: http://vintagecosmo.com/store/). Here's the trick- and no promises and if it works dont pester and submit yourself to utter patience....or else just spend the coin for the Gilles.

They are small and specialize in vintage European motors, old Benellis, Parillas, etc, so a 52mm set of Tommaselli's simply is not a thing they stock or do in general. Sweet talk the fella and tell him that on your search for these you came across him, express suprise and delight that there is someone out there that does what he does and ask if he were agreeable if he could secure a set of 52mm from his Tommaselli source for you. the number is: 215-368-7500. (sourced from the website)

I suspect, and admittedly was so delighted when I first saw the Tommaselli's because back in '05 we were hard pressed to find a set of clip-ons with a rise that would make the bike tolerable were slim to none. if you wanted to go with the LSL's you had to also do the LSL forkmount (or the GSGMoto version) instrument panel/headlight mount kit because nobody had a set of clip-ons with a rise that would work without hitting the instrument panel for the '05+ S3. Long story short....this is why I ponied up and paid the $300+ large and waited for almost 3 months until they showed up, but 'show up' they did (I used motomeccaspares like you tried).

These are the only two sources I have found that deals with the Tommaselli clip-ons, if there are others I dont know of them but this guy at Cosmopolitan motors was willing to help me out, I just flipped the coin and went with motomeccaspares simply because the option was available on a drop down list on their website, thats all. I still had to wait forever to get 'em, and heavens dont wait til July/August because southern Europe shuts down and you will have an ungodly wait to get your order filled then..

These guys as i understand actually go over to Italy a few times a year to pick stuff up, most things they order and also have to wait until it gets shipped to them so I warn you again, DO NOT BE IN A HURRY TO GET THEM, just submit to humbly waiting, this isnt a "customer is always right, and let my ball out this guy cos he's taking too long" kind of scene, he'll actually be doing you a 'propper' and will likely charge you a princely sum (but less than the Gilles) because you will notice that the Tommaselli's in 37mm probably cost $140 and whats a few extra ounces of aluminum? It seems the sizes for the modern USD fork motors are some special kind of order...

sorry for the wordiness but thought i'd be thorough..and again, no promises, I tried this back in spring '06.

The Gilles were not an available option back when i did this but hurrah they are now so if its too difficult or if you decide you cannot tolerate the potential wait time for the Tommaselli's i would go ahead and get the Gilles.

good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jason, thanks tremendously for taking the time to write it all down. It is very informative.

Regarding my order with Motomeccaspares, I have no problem waiting for even a few months. My issue is that I placed my order, gave them my credit card info (do they even take Amex?), and have no confirmation that they even received my order, or my email. I don't care what country you're from, that's just friggin rude. ***This poor communication can't even be blamed on the italians :D

I'm not really looking to drop 4 bones on a set of clip ons. I will just pick up some vortex/woodcraft, then sell them once (if) the Tommaselli's arrive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Clipons going spare.

I have some LSL clipons that did two trips on my 07. They are 51mm and have been opened up to fit. You could emery them for a looser fit.
I just sprayed the fork legs with wd40 and tapped them down with a wooden mallet.
Mike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Missing Photo.

Here is a photo. I was going to put them on ebay.
They are the high sport match ones. Cost £225 new i am open to offers.

Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have some LSL clipons that did two trips on my 07. They are 51mm and have been opened up to fit. You could emery them for a looser fit.
I just sprayed the fork legs with wd40 and tapped them down with a wooden mallet.
Mike.
How did you get the LSL's to work without the headlight/panel mod? Just didnt turn the bars to full lock?

The LSL offset's were the first clip-ons I tried back in '05 and they simply didnt work. They either hit the panel or if pulled back some, they hit the tank...they just physically couldnt work..

Only way folks got 'em working was with the panel/headlight mod (LSL or GSG-moto) that made the headlight/instrument panel rotate with the steering but suggested that because of the extra mass when riding aggressively you can probably benefit from a steering damper, and you know at that point you have to sweet talk yourself into a spendy matris unit so the cost involved in "Making it work" seemed to escalate. Not bad if your prepared for it but certainly involved spending some coin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kerry from Motomeccaspares got back to me. He informed me that it would be awhile and so I let him know that would be fine.

Mike, those are the offset LSL's I've read so much about that hit the flyscreen etc. I'm not really looking to remount the headlights etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lsl

I had no problem with the lsl clipons. I moved the bracket for the brake fluid so it faced towards the clocks not forward as standard,Also The ones i have are quite high. They just touched the clocks at full lock.

If you look at a Busters catalouge you will see the LSL speed triple. Clipons and all.

I used them with a full fairing as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gilles clips ons

Jason,

Im thinking about making the plunge for the Gilles variobars with risers. Do you have any pics of them on your bike? Also, what riser size did you get? Seems like this is the best bet out there for adjustability and quality. (pricey though)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts