Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,527 Posts
If TR6 CX----------, then March '78 manufacture.

If TR6C XO---------, "X" would be December, but there is no "O" designation for year, it skips from "N" to "P".

Must be a '78 or you read the number wrong, possibly missing an "R" after TR6?

I thought the TR6 became a TR7 after '72 - 73...

[ This message was edited by: GrandPaulZ on 2007-02-20 09:02 ]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
There were some TR6s made in the early 80s. They were destroked TR7s and displaced 650 cc. They were stripped down cheaper bikes made in a desperate attempt to get some sales.
Maybe it's one of these?
How many fins on the cylinder? Seven, and it's a short rod engine, 73 - on. Eight, and it's a long rod cylinder, pre-73.
Nine headbolts, with one in the center of the head, and it's long rod, ten and it's a short rod engine. Although....there are big bore kits for the long rod engine with ten bolts to adapt the later heads to the earlier engines. And top ends can be swapped around, too. A photo or two would help a lot.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow, you two guys never cease to amaze me with you knowledge of the Triumph motorcycle. I had a Triumph back in the '50's and all I can remember about it is that it had 1 carb. and was light green and noisy but ran good. I don't know how you guy's do it, but I'm glad you do. Thanks for always helping.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GPZ: Yep, that's what I came up with and as far as I got too. I've requested the seller recheck the number and let me know, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Mecchania: Check out eBay item number 130081653633.

I'm trying to check this out in case haggis95 would be interested in it.

:cool:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
the bike is id'd as a a 69 in the Ebay listing

based on what is said I'll lay odds correct VIN is
TR6C XC05572 (or ) XC05572 TR6C (your choice)

1969 TR6C built in Dec '68

Indicators of TR6C model are small headlite, single instrument gauge, steering damper, and rigid handlebar mount upper tree, and small gas tank.

Among things that are incorrect is the exhaust system,
front brake shoe plate is a 68, missing grab rail from seat,
chromed rear hub and "interesting" license plate mounting,and so forth.

With the above said if I could get it for the current bid of $1025 US I'd go fur it

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-02-20 21:57 ]

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KADUTZ: I think you nailed it. I picked up on everything you mentioned except the steering damper/handlebar mount and the '68 brake plate. What would the steering damper have come off of, a '67 or earlier bike? I didn't think the '69 TR6's had steering dampers. It would look better with the two stock high exhaust pipes on the left side. I noticed right off that is an odd license plate mount isn't it.

I'm going to tell haggis95 about this bike (if I can reach him), but I'll bet it ends up going for a lot more than it's currently listed!

I still haven't heard back from the seller about the correct VIN number. Maybe I'll try e-mailing him again.

You guys are the tops!

[ This message was edited by: ooobaby on 2007-02-20 22:39 ]

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
ooobaby
TR6C models thru 70 had the damper. TR6C used rigid handlebar mount upper tree and T120R lower tree and stem.

TR6R models used T120R upper tree and TR6R lower tree and stem. without damper

last year the damper was used was on 650 twins was 72.

licensce plate is mounted to a stock bracket and should be moved up to taillite backing plate mounting bolts at the fender.

I didnt see a kill switch on handelbar so ithe bike MAY have a T120R or TR6R wire loom. I also cant get a good enough look at foot pegs are fold up style a(69)TR6C should also have them

I think bike is a TR6C model not aTR6R

·
Super Moderator
13,527 Posts
That's also a later style primary cover with the timing inspection hole.

Still, a good, clean bike. Bidding is slow, but that's par for the course this early on.

Watch it go for $4,000 or so, MAYBE $5,000...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well....I heard back from the seller and KADUTZ was dead on and nailed the VIN and the bikes identity. The seller was very appreciative and asked if we could try and tell him what was not stock about the bike. I have KADUTZ's prior list. I think GPZ's comment about the primary cover is incorrect and that is the correct primary cover for this bike. Am I wrong in this? Also, the additional variances from stock I see are: there's no skid plate; there should not be a center stand and there is one; the seat top appears to be recovered in "non-aerated" material; the left side cover should have a decal that says Trophy 650 and there should be a smaller decal on the top left side of the gas tank even with the gas cap that says Trophy 650. What should it say on the right side-cover/oil tank? Anything else I missed?
Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
the bike is up to $1200 US (I want 2 like this one for that kind of money each or $2400)

how picky do we want to be?

Front fender is 68 spec TR6R ot T120R note brake cable mountng loop

Clutch cable not routed correctly

Brake cable not routed correctly

Oil tank level decal mounted to high

Seat cover missing trim strip (part # 60-0696)

Passenger footrests on this bike have been chrome plated

69/70 primary cover are the same

front fender loop brackets should be black

both fenders should be stainless

paint on gas tank not correct style or color

spark plug leads are incorrect

etc,etc,etc

lets be serious it is a used nearly 40 year old bike it looks nice and is worth more than the current bid. the seller (basically) admits he doesnt know what he is selling.
any bidder that bids on somthing he doesnt know about
is a Foolish Idiot.

just my opinion :cool: :cool:

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-02-22 05:43 ]

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KADUTZ: Thanks again, but what the **** was that last comment all about? Just for the fun of it I'm trying to help this guy figure out what he's got. And, if haggis95 (who stated he doesn't know about vintage Triumphs) just happened to be interested in this bike, he should know what he's bidding on.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haggis95: I think GPZ as in the ball park. According to my 2005 Vintage Motorcycle Price Guide, if this bike was all correct, it would range in value from $1800 for basically a basket case to $9000 for a pristine original/concourse restoration. Values have probably gone up $300-$500 dollars since then. This bike is a very nice bike, but it's not original (very few are anymore). It's basically a pretty complete '69 TR6C in quasi TR6R trim, with a few other parts changed out. This is bad if you want a complete original and are willing to pay for it. This is good if you're just looking for a decent bike and don't want to pay top dollar (hopefully). I think this bike is going to sell in the $4500 to $6000 range to someone who knows what the bike is in it's present state. As they say, "something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it". If someone out there really wants this bike and thinks it's in it's correct trim (ie: doesn't know it's not correct in it's present state) it could go for more than that because it "looks" really nice. If a guy could pick this bike up for say $4500 to $5300, and he wanted a "correct" bike, he could probably get it back into original shape for another $1500 or so (the correct exhaust won't be cheap) by selling off the incorrect parts to buy the correct stuff. That would not include a tank repaint if this color is not correct, which is hard to tell from the pictures. All in all this is a very nice bike, assuming of course that it's in good shape mechanically. I never thought to ask the seller the mileage on the bike, but who knows if it's accurate or not anyway. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

[ This message was edited by: ooobaby on 2007-02-22 08:26 ]

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
haggis95
regarding you top dollar question at the Jan 07 Las Vegas auction 70 T120R's sold between $8500 and $15000 US.
a 70 TR6C sold for $8000 US and a 70 T120RT sold at $12000 US. (Note the Vegas auction is usually a high dollar one)
what will the one go for on Ebay? probably more than its true value. (my opinion) it is currently at $1225 US. prices of this stuff is and has been for a long time all over the board.
I was at the Chicago new bike show a couple of weeks ago
and talked to a guy wanting to sell a 70 TR6C for about $3000. this bike happens to be about 10/12 miles from me.
so don't forget the freight charges to get whatever you buy from where it is to where you are at.
I also don't believe in any price book again just my opinion

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
2/26/07 930pm cst

69 for sale is presently at $2550.00 US

update
2/27/07 1130pm cst bid is still the same :-D

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-02-27 23:30 ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts