Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always check for oil near the hose for the oil pressure switch...this morning, I found a phillips head bolt about 1.25cm long.

It did not smell of oil or gas.
It has a little bit of road grime on it.

The bike runs perfectly..my 8 mile trip to work was flawless..no weird sounds or vibrations.

The 2 attached pics show the bolt ( I know its a little blurry!), and the location of where the bolt was found this morning.

My guess is that its from a wire clamp under the gas tank somewhere, and it's not worth the time. Or perhaps the air injection is removing itself, and saving me the trouble.

I'd appreciate any theories as to where the bolt comes from.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Could it be one of the battery terminal bolts?
GREG

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
There are several items attached to the frame under the tank. That looks like one of the bolts that screws into the frame. You're right, though, a couple of them hold the AI stuff in place. Just pull the tank off and have a look around. Only takes a minute (or so).

·
30,296 Posts
Unless he bought the bike used, and some previous owner dropped the bolt down there and it has never been noticed.........unlikely perhaps, but a slight possibility.

As pokeyjoe says though, it can't have just fallen out of the battery terminal recently - or starting your bike would be, er, a bit awkward anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take the tank off Friday after work..if I dont have any problems getting home today, then it cant be that major.

and for the record, I do the 'walk around' every morning before I leave, and every evening before covering up the bike ( because I'm always checking for any leaks) so I know that the bolt was not there before last night at the earliest.

thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
You might as well at least have a look at the battery before you pull the tank off. The terminal bolts should be checked occasionally anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unless he bought the bike used, and some previous owner dropped the bolt down there and it has never been noticed.........unlikely perhaps, but a slight possibility.
When my igniter died, upon inspection of my bike I found a short (about 1.5") length of hose with a threaded fitting attached to it atop my motor. Clearly this little hose had something to do with the reason my bike was not starting. I searched for over an hour for where that hose would have come from.

Than I remembered when I installed my new break reservoir, months prior, there was a short length of hose with a threaded fitting attached that I dropped somewhere on the floor of my garage (or so I thought), never to be found. :D

To the original poster - that picture is way more than a "little" blurry. Better pic and we may stand a better chance of helping.

·
Registered
177 Posts
As above...I would say that some one dropped a battery bolt, then replaced it with either a different style bolt (check your terminals to confirm) or if at a dealership, maybe just anouther of the OEM bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts