Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I recently found my reservoir leaking and replace the o- ring, made sure everything looked nice and smooth before reassembly (I polished the M/C a little).

But now it's leaking again , one drop over two weeks, definitely from the reservoir.

Was a new LP williams M/C and reservoir, couple of years old.

DPO was a bit of a monkey and might have damaged the reservoir but it looked good, little spacer was there to prevent over tightening (or maybe not letting it tighten too much...)

Any hints on how to get it to seal, this smear of silicone grease on the oring, bad idea?

Replace the reservoir?

Any tips much appreciated.

BMF

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
check that the reservoir is not cracked
could it be from the cap ?
-- was the O ring the correct part (not just an O ring for plumbing etc)
never had to use sealant on that O ring so cant advise on grease or sealant ( others may be able to help on that)
you could try flipping the ring over

·
7,369 Posts
Hi Brett,
recently found my reservoir leaking and replace the o- ring, made sure everything looked nice and smooth before reassembly
But now it's leaking again , one drop over two weeks, definitely from the reservoir.
I've had seven Lockheed reservoirs in 43 years, two of which are separate from the (rear) master cylinder so double the places that could leak ... never, ever had a leak in 43 years, not even one drop.

Edumacated guess says either the reservoir's damaged or you're using the wrong O-rings - fwiw, correct Lockheed reservoir sealing O-rings are thicker than usual, I haven't always changed the reservoir O-ring with the other seals so I've a couple of spares at no extra cost.

DPO was a bit of a monkey
little spacer was there to prevent over tightening
DPO missed it out once, over-tightened the nut, cracked the reservoir? It's an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny crack, is why it takes a couple of weeks for even a drop of fluid to get out?

how to get it to seal,
Replace the reservoir?
Inspect the bottom of the reservoir very, very closely. If you still don't see anything:-

. White reservoir? Rub a pencil lead on a piece of paper 'til you have some carbon powder, dip a fingertip in it and rub 'round the reservoir, carbon'll stick in any crack.

. Black reservoir? Talcum powder instead of pencil carbon.

Maybe still consider replacing the reservoir?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks, got the oring from LP Williams so should be ok. Will have a good look at it all. Got one of the Lockheed reservoirs from LP Williams last time "just in case" and it seems it's number has come up...

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
I seem to remember having an issue with an O ring (maybe on the rear) once? It had jumped a bit when I assembled the reservoir

·
Registered
34 Posts
The O-ring has to be EPDM which is compatible with brake fluid, not Buna-N. Both the cylinder and reservoir have to be scratch and burr free.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have a spacer handy to measure, make sure the right thing is in there? I'm referring to the little steel tube that sits on the threaded boss.

THANKS!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was able to repair what I thought was a MC leak by swapping out the copper sealing rings. I thought for sure it was the MC because the fluid gets everywhere from a tiny leak.... Hope this will help!
HARFEND

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So the LF Harris reservoir is rather rubbishy. The AP Lockheed one from LPW had an acceptable oring surface.
As you can see on this picture the seat on the of of Harris one is full of moulding / shrink marks. So when you buy a master cylinder you really do need to throw away the one that comes with it and buy the Lockheed branded one

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a few AP Lockheed reservoirs from British Cycle Supply which are made in England. The O-ring seat looks much cleaner than that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had exactly the same issue as Harfend. Was certain reservoir was leaking, replaced it and O ring twice, still a leak. It was the copper washer where the brake hose attaches to MC, a really small leak running under the MC appearing to be a reservoir leak. Mark

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that's exactly how my AP one looked Dave, Nice and smooth. 24 hours now and still bone dry. Gets one really paranoid about the tank paint. Makes one want to go back to cable brakes ;)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hi BMF, I get what you are saying exactly about cable brakes. The # problem with drum brakes is out of round drum. Very hard to get them properly skimmed. New hub can be out of round from box. Or pulled out from spoke tensioning??

On the other hand disc brakes do work quite well for stopping. If they pulsate you can get disc skimmed at most brake shops & new are easy to get & not too costly.

Fluid leak & tank paint.... It only takes one drop. Triumph paint is very susceptible to brake fluid damage.

I did all day ride. Pulled in for gas at pm. Finished pumping & turned bars to start bike. Looked like bird just pooped on my tank. Odd as I was in covered area.... I wiped with paper towel & paint went right with it. Took a good look. Like brown liquid. In a seconded I realized it was brake fluid! Got my water bottle & washed it well. Looked a master cylinder. Was wet at bottom of brake lever near pivot. Wiped it & stuffed paper towel in hollow area of lever. Verified leak was coming from boot of master around push rod.

Teardown showed the end of master cyl was rusty behind boot. LF Harris stainless was cure.

So sad every last new part we buy must be looked at with the utmost care. Like with a magnifying glass. Just a fact of life. Country of origin means nothing. I sometimes wonder if Taiwan made is more trustworthy than UK made?? This parts quality issue is my biggest issue working on these bikes. Heaven help you if you need right foot shift primary cover.

All the stress you've been through for a crap part is just not right. Sorry for you.
Don

·
Registered
552 Posts
I sometimes wonder if Taiwan made is more trustworthy than UK made??
Hi Don, I had a couple of Taiwanese made recumbent bicycles - now only one. The first one I bought to try, and bought the second one on the basis of my experience with the first. The quality of the engineering of the frame was superb - the welding was perfect. Taiwan makes the majority of the world's bicycles for the major makes AIUI.

I have no qualms about buying Taiwanese made parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts