Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been told that my 2000 ST with 55,000km won't pass a road worthy because the front rotors are under spec!!
Is this normal for the k's? anyone know a good place to buy replacement rotors? I would also be very interested to know what the min specs are?
I am selling the bike (on bikesales.com.au) as it is not being used very much. having too much fun on my 05 Sprint.
:cool: :)

[ This message was edited by: gavinb on 2007-01-31 02:22 ]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gday Gav just checked the service manual The new disc is 4mm The minimum is 3.5mm looks like you need new discs. see you soon

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hey Gav,

I've been down this road a couple of times on different bikes.

First off I will say DO NOT buy discs from any of the places that make them here. Especially a certain place c**pping on about extended life. The set I had made were warped and the owner told me to "f*** off" when I complained and dared to want a set that worked. Having said that there may be a place in Melbourne that does make quality rotors now.

I went for EBC discs on my 99 ST at around 77,000kms. They were not quite as good as the originals, but worked ok. I believe there are a few more brands imported from the US and Europe that are good quality.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Brett.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Hey Gavin, perhaps take it somewhere else and get it roadworthied. My old S3 did 100,000ks on the original rotors, sure they were worn and supposedly under spec, but not by much.

Rotors can last and still be safe long after they are under spec, but it's a personal choice.

Perhaps measure your's to make sure that they aren't trying to sell you the rotors themselves. Shops will do that, if they can get away with it.

You may be able to find some original in spec rotors at Eurobrit of a wreck?

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your help.
I will try somewhere else for the road worthy and see what happens.
Hi Phil, thanks for your help to, forgot you have the factory manual, from my crude measurements rotors are a tad over 2.5mm but that is from the crest of the groves not the bottom.
Cheers /Gavin. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts