Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got the european bars and decided to switch them last night after I got the baby to bed. Everything was going good got everything on. The two plastic piece with the fuel advancer and turn signal etc. and the other plastic piece on the throttle side both wouldnt get tight and keep from spinning one way......so i am sitting on it getting a feel for where everything needs to be and slip on a spot of stain (I was staining yesterday) and down goes frazier....luckily no dents but i grabbed the bars to try and keep the bike up and I pulled a little wire out of the throttle plug. When I picked the bike up there was some blue on the floor I thought I punctured something but after getting it outside and washing all the garage out fast...because when you have a pregnant wife coming home she can scream pretty loud if you start subjecting her and the baby to gas and other fumes...

1,Where did the blue fluid come from...I am assuming it is break fluid where would it have come from? What should I check for issues

2,What can I do to get the plastic pieces not to spin on the new bikemaster bars?

3,I hope I can somehow reattatch that wire without buying or waiting on parts to show up?

I love the bars if I ever get the bike back in running shape....Took a morning after picture on my way to work ....I am still so pissed

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
1,Where did the blue fluid come from...I am assuming it is break fluid where would it have come from? What should I check for issues

You may have dinged the master cylinder if the lever hit first (you'll know as soon as you pull the lever and there's no resistance) or it may be coolant.
I expect it will be coolant.

2,What can I do to get the plastic pieces not to spin on the new bikemaster bars?

Since it sounds like you already trimmed the tabs of the switch housings, use tape wrapped around the bar at location where they clamp on.
I also changed to much lower bars and DID have to reroute the choke and throttle cables.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not sure trimming the tab of the switch housing

not sure what triming the tabs is....what kind of tape?

I appreciate all your guys help it makes working on the bike a lot bearable. I can here my dad when he comes over to my house now....well why the f would you change the bars...he loves motorcycles but he always left them stock.....I cant leave them stock ...just cant....no matter how hard I try

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The "tabs" are on the inner diameter of the switch housings and drop into holes drilled in the stock handlebars and keep them from rotating.
I suspect that the bars you removed were not stock and the tabs were previously removed.
I use electrical tape.
it will probably take about two layers.
You'll wrap right where the screws clamp the switch/throttle housing halves together.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tape

yeah i looked at the old bars there were no holes in them...thanks for the tip....i will use some tape

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wire

I pulled on of the wires I am pretty sure I hate to look before I left because I will still pissed...it is one of the wires in the cluster near bolt 14 and 15 is this something that can be reattatchedor am i looking at getting new part s in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If it didn't pull out a piece of the switch with it, you should be able to solder it and be on your way.
Look in your manual and compare the wire color.
There is a SLIM chance that it's an unused wire.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking that to after I got the bike back up and saw it wasnt leaking anywhere else I figrued it had to be an overflow of some sorts....Where is that overflow ....I hope the wire doesnt turnout to be a big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts