Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that someone could offer some advice on installing the non plug and play lucas light that BC sells? I've searched through the forums for more information on how to do this installation, but haven't been succesful in finding exactly what I need to do. Ideally I'd love a step by step on this install. I'm not much of a mechanic so I'm a bit nervous about installing this light. I don't want to screw anything up. If anyone can share their tips/advice and in general steps they went through I'd greatly appreciate it.

I hope to document my installation with many photos and will gladly share this info on the forum once I'm done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Today I started to fit a Lucas tailight to my Thrux but because I dont want to drill holes in the original guard and because of the molding to fit the ugly tailight I decided to fit a rear bobbed and smooth guard from Airtech. Also I am going to fit blinkers up near seat but behind shockies using a turn signal reloaction aft bracket from newbonniville. I have also purchased their rear wiring harness as I did not want to cut into the original.

This project is costing more than what some would like to spend but it is just my idea how to do it. I will try to post some photos tomorrow.

Chris

·
Registered
196 Posts
Photos of Blinkers and Tailight

tpshotta

A couple of photos to check if need.

Front Blinkers.jpg

Blnkrs and Tailight 004.jpg

Ignition switch is hanging around waiting on bracket. Hopefully here next week. The front blinkers are just installed temporarily to check how they will fit. When I get the front blinker wiring harness from Newbonniville I will install permanently. Have to paint the new rear guard and finish the wiring and it will be finished for now. Not sure what clour to paint guard. Going to try black and also do the front in black. If it doesnt work will try yellow all round.

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
tpshotta

A couple of photos to check if need.

View attachment 15572

View attachment 15573

Ignition switch is hanging around waiting on bracket. Hopefully here next week. The front blinkers are just installed temporarily to check how they will fit. When I get the front blinker wiring harness from Newbonniville I will install permanently. Have to paint the new rear guard and finish the wiring and it will be finished for now. Not sure what clour to paint guard. Going to try black and also do the front in black. If it doesnt work will try yellow all round.

Chris

Looks good. I like the white fender too. Does Airtech only offer it in white?

Ahh - answered my own question. I saw on Airtech's site that they only offer them in white (unfinished).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tailight and blinkers

tpshotta

So far all I have done is to fit the guard and tailight and checked how the blinkers will fit. Still in the process of organising the electrical wiring. Even though I have bought the rear wiring harness and waiting on the front for the blinkers there is still some buggering around but that is just me wanting to get it right first up.

Worked on it over the weekend making flat steel brackets to fit under the guard so there is more strength were the mounting bolts are located for both the guard and tailight. Unfortunately I found the fibreglass guard a bit on the light side and therefore I intend strengthening the last half from the seat back with a 20mm wide strip of aluminium to be fibreglassed in on both sides of the guard. Also there is another issue with the fibreglass guard compared to the original. It does not have any means to hold harness under the guard and therefore I intend to make some small brackets like on the original to hold wiring.

Will post some more photos when I get around to finishing.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts