Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise, I tried the search function here on this forum and couldn't find anyone else having this problem. I have a 2005 Sprint ST with 22,050 miles on it. I've had it for 1 month now. It had a TOR exhaust on it. After each ride, I would absolutely, terribly smell like exhaust. I thought it was the TOR exhaust. So I put the stock muffler back on and changed the oil, and the same thing. Even after a 10 minute ride, I get off, and every piece of clothing smells horribly of bad exhaust. Is this common of having the exhaust under the seat with this model? Does anyone else have this problem? Or am I just a whimp of a motorcycle rider?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
So many smart-aleck replies could go here...

I'd say the best thing you could do is to take it to a shop (preferably a Triumph Dealer) and have them put an exhaust gas analyzer on it. It may be running rich, for any number of reasons.

The Dealer can then put a Gameboy on it and see if there are any codes, as well as check various other data.

Assuming your definition of 'bad' means it smells like gasoline.

Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking, it probably is running too rich. I think the previous owner had the thing tuned for the TOR exhaust. I just wanted to make sure that all Sprint owners didn't have this problem of smelling like exhaust after riding their Sprint ST.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shooting in the dark, but you might check for exhaust leaks from the headers or joints too. I mean my 2000 runs a little rich too, but I don't reek of exhaust after a ride. I can smell it standing downwind, but not when I'm done riding, which is what I think you said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts