Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing out my turn signals and am unable to get the left rear signal to work.
https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-talk/958372-lucas-style-lights.html
All the others wired in fine and work fine if I should leave the rear left disconnected or leave it hanging out of the housing with the earth wire looped to the screw hole.
As soon as I put the fixture in the housing and wire it as the others are, none of the blinkers work at all.
They may light once and fade out.
I'm not great with electric bits.
I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Working with the original taillight housing and wiring is a pain in the butt.
I had worked to get everything in place and then wired the rear right signal and tested
I had accidentally wired the left on the right side.
When the housing was off the fender it was upside down and when I flipped it around and mounted that was my mistake.
I then pulled the housing off the fender again and switched the leads coming from each wire.
Orange/black pair (Left) and Brown/black pair (right) each connect to their own white and black leads into the signal.
I have pulled those left leads and made sure there are no breaks in the wire.
I swapped out the bulb as well. After each test, my results are always the same.
Disconnected totally, the other 3 signals work.
If left hanging out of the signal housing it works.
screw it in, all fail.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Do those have LED bulbs? LEDS have to be wired up correctly to work. I put LED bulbs in the stock blinkers on my Rocket 3 and had the same problem. I needed to unplug and switch the wires connected to the offending blinker and it worked. With Incandescent bulbs it doesn’t matter how they’re connected.
If they’re not LED then I can’t help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do those have LED bulbs? LEDS have to be wired up correctly to work. I put LED bulbs in the stock blinkers on my Rocket 3 and had the same problem. I needed to unplug and switch the wires connected to the offending blinker and it worked. With Incandescent bulbs it doesn’t matter how they’re connected.
If they’re not LED then I can’t help.
They are the standard filament bulb that came with the Lucas style signals.
I tried swapping the bulb and it made no difference.
It's something in the earth wire connection, I believe, I just have no idea what exactly.
As I re-worked each signal, I would make the connections, tuck wires into the housing and screw together.
I then would test and mount the amber lens.
:frown2:

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
They are the standard filament bulb that came with the Lucas style signals.
I tried swapping the bulb and it made no difference.
It's something in the earth wire connection, I believe, I just have no idea what exactly.
As I re-worked each signal, I would make the connections, tuck wires into the housing and screw together.
I then would test and mount the amber lens.
:frown2:
I dont see how the bulbs could be the cause, if it works when the light is hanging there then I'd think you could eliminate that as the problem.
Are you sure that you dont have some short in a wire inside the signal, either in the tube that connects the light to its mounting point? or a wire that when you twist it into place is getting exposed and touching something it shouldn't.
if all the lights work as should when the one particular light is hanging there and as soon as you mount it everything goes to sh!t I'd look real hard at that light, inspect all the wires in it closely, seams like your problem is in that area.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG.... I am such a flippin moron :Dang
On the back, orange feeds to black of the signal
Black feeds to white of earth
on the other side, brown feeds to black and white to earth
So then, in the front.... do I need to swap wires?
white to black of signal fixture
black to earth?
When I took apart the OEM fronts I noted the black wire lead to the feed of the bulb.
Therefore I made it the same with the Lucas single wire.
At this point all are working.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am about to change over to LED blinkers. Do I need to use a different blinker fluid?! Synthetic? What weight?
Absolutely. But don't waste money on the expensive stuff, bonnies aren't fast enough to need it . The cheapest stuff that Woolworths sells will be more than adequate for a bonnie.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
OMG.... I am such a flippin moron :Dang
On the back, orange feeds to black of the signal
Black feeds to white of earth
on the other side, brown feeds to black and white to earth
So then, in the front.... do I need to swap wires?
white to black of signal fixture
black to earth?
When I took apart the OEM fronts I noted the black wire lead to the feed of the bulb.
Therefore I made it the same with the Lucas single wire.
At this point all are working.
You're not a moron per se. the switching around of colors for the same purposes is an obvious attwmpt to introduce Lucas style electrical uncertainty into modern wiring. Besides, a moron would never figure it out and just give up.

Reactions: W_Edwards

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Glad you sorted it but you really should have a 12v test lamp and a VOM for these sort of troubleshoots....makes life way easier as does the correct wiring diagram for the bike.

Reactions: W_Edwards

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys.
Had it been totally wonky, I knew this would be the group to to turn to, to help me figure it out.
The back end is done for now; but I am awaiting parts to give it the total final look.
Recently the bike suffered a fall... I have now repaired or replaced most all the damage.
Still have a ding in the tank to work on.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is a mythe the new ones are sealed only require water every 8 days.
true, but if you use coconut milk you can go almost 30 days. Someone said almond milk will last a full year.

I should feel bad about this post, but I'm the one your mother warned you about.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
true, but if you use coconut milk you can go almost 30 days. Someone said almond milk will last a full year.

I should feel bad about this post, but I'm the one your mother warned you about.
I can always resort to the report to moderator button :wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts