Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of the bike lowered it about an inch. which makes it useless.

I'm fine with the forks, but cant figure out the rear spring. Right now the collar/lock are set at the very top with no threads showing. I have read it should have 4 threads visible above the lock collar.

Would this not lower the bike even more?
Also, which direction should I turn the lock collar to loosen it? I've went counter clockwise and got it loose, but then tightened up again, then tried to opposite and same thing. So im not hitting hard enough in one direction, which one?

Sorry, i'm not a complete newbie.

Any help would be great as i would like to get this done in time to go riding tonight.

A picture of what I should be looking at in the end would be most helpful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi XavierV,

I'm not sure I can help you but others may be able to help if you let them know what year your Speed Triple is and if it has the stock shock or an aftermarket, etc.

G.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The previous owner of the bike lowered it about an inch. which makes it useless.

I'm fine with the forks, but cant figure out the rear spring. Right now the collar/lock are set at the very top with no threads showing. I have read it should have 4 threads visible above the lock collar.

Would this not lower the bike even more?
Also, which direction should I turn the lock collar to loosen it? I've went counter clockwise and got it loose, but then tightened up again, then tried to opposite and same thing. So im not hitting hard enough in one direction, which one?

Sorry, i'm not a complete newbie.

Any help would be great as i would like to get this done in time to go riding tonight.

A picture of what I should be looking at in the end would be most helpful.
Get the 4 turns of thread back to start with above the nuts, that will definately lift the bike a little (not sure how much) and if its not back to original height then it might have a lowering link in it, thats a different "dog bone" at the botttom of the monoshock

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's a 1050 without a dog bone lowering link.

i guess my big idiot question is, which direction will properly loosen the lock collar?

I would think that with no threads showing, the bike would be high up..but it was done as an attempt to lower.

·
Registered
151 Posts
looking down from the top of your shock, turn the preload rings clockwise to stiffen the suspension. With the preload backed all the way off,you have less tension on your spring, hense the lower ride hieght.

·
Registered
359 Posts
but does the lock collar turn closewise too?
Turn the lock collar(nut) anticlockwise to undo , it only needs to go 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and then screw the adjusting nut,the one below the lock nut down about 4 full turns clockwise then screw the locknut "collar" down also 4 and a bit turns (clockwise) untill it meets the adjust nut and tighten fully together.(only go 4 turns if you said you have no threads above the nuts in the first place).
Then report back to us on what sort of height gain you achieve
more pressure on the spring lifts the bike up,
for every action ther is an equal but opposite re-action .Newton I think, if Im wrong 20 people will let me know !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you!

Will do in the morning and report back. brought the forks back up and flipped my bars, already a huge difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing that sounds like it could complicate things here, is if the previous owner ran the lock collar all the way to the end of the threads on the shock.

If this is the case, you wouldn't be able to back the lock collar off. You would have to hold it in place and spin the preload adjuster clockwise, in order to get it to "unlock" from the lock collar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts