Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my T509 I'm changing the rear brake disk/rotor and pads. The pistons move nicely but the floating caliper is seized (explains why the left hand pad wore down to the metal while the right hand one had some mm left!). Any hints and tips on how to unseize it? There seem to be two pins - one in the centre (that looks ok and there's a tiny bit of movement there) and one at one side which definitely looks solid.

Should the mounting bracket slide completely off these pins, or is there only slight movement? What's the best method of getting it moving? I've tried penetrating fluid and using a variety of G-clamps and other tools to prise the mounting bracket along the pins - no luck :-(

The rubber sleeves look ok, though probably wont be by the time I've finished meddling!

Cheers in advance for any suggestions,

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the rear mounting arrangement of the T509 .
It may be helpful if you could post a picture of the part you are having trouble with .

When ever I have to release a stuck caliper pin in automotive applications I put the pin in a vise and use a torch to heat the caliper bracket, the aluminum will expand and allow the bracket to twist off the pin. Be careful with the heat though , if you twist the pin off and it breaks inside the bracket you will be needing new parts .

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Wish I could be of more help, but I've never had mine off. After looking at the caliper on my bike though and an identical one on my Trophy it looks to me as though those pins are solidly mounted to the bracket and the caliper would need to slide off of them equally at the same time. As Diesel said heat may help on the caliper itself where that end pin is apparently frozen inside. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and support.

Update - after 2 days of working on it (with a few breaks to work on something more productive on the bike) I managed to get it apart. After much blood, sweat and tears trying to get the floating caliper off the pins whilst still connected to the brake line I gave up on that and removed the caliper completely to help get better access. Then, after even more blood, sweat and tears I got it apart by supporting the caliper on a block of wood with sockets supporting the pistons and clamps holding the caliper down, then used a G-clamp to try to pull the mounting bracket (with pins) out of the pin sockets - that didn't work on its own though, had to give it a helping hand using a drift and a hammer.
Eventually knocked the seized pin out and it came apart! managed to do it without breaking anything other than one of the rubber boot sleeves. Phew!
Now just need to put it all back together again....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts