Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm an idiot and didn' tknow anything about emissions until the past couple days. I just found out that i need a sticker if my bike is under 7500 miles. I can't find that sticker anywhere! I took my bike in already and they are expecting to see it ASAP. I was stupid enough to write down 6500 or so.... dman!!!! i checked under the rider seat, around the steering column but no luck! I am so saddened! I think i'm screwed. the bike was purchased in nevada and i got it back here. please help if you nkow where the sticker is and if you can, please post a pic of it! i'd relaly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link. read all about it, but sounds like they were able to take photos. I've messaged them in hopes of some insight.

Thanks again... you wouldn't happen to be in the bay area (CA)? May i borrow your sticker? :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry down in LA. I'm not sure I understand your need for the sticker. I bought my bike with less than 7500 miles second hand and never had any questions asked of me when I transfered title. Did the whole process at AAA in about ten minutes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, i purchased the bike from nevada and it apparently doesn't have a sticker because it wasn't needed. i called the dealer, and they said they can't give me one even if the manual says it's good for cali. so i'm kinda in a jam cuz i don't know anyone w/ a triumph up here in the sf area.

G

·
Hey, I just went through this whole goat-rope myself a couple of weeks ago.

The sticker is under the tank. Yeah, who thought of putting it there? To get to it, use the allen wrench under the seat to remove the two screws at the top of the tank, then use a 9mm wrench to remove the bolt at the bottom of the tank (found under the seat). You'll have to do this at the DMV. They need to see the sticker. The fuel line beneath is easily disconnected with your fingers, but I was able to lift the tank high enough for the DMV guy to see the sticker without disconnecting anything.

Good news, though: NV bikes are almost always CA emissions, so you should be okay.

Unfortuanately, my bike was bought in Colorado. Impossible to register in CA. I ended up selling mine to Freedom Cycle in Reno and trading it for a brand new one. Those guys were the coolest dealers I've ever dealt with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is it on the black plastic air filter housing the tank covers? I just pulled off the tank and no dice... no sticker. i was so hopeful that the sticker would be there! :(

There's some padding on the tank itself... should i strip the padding to see if it's underneath? i'm so desperate right now. I'd like to register it this saturday, but i really need to find the sticker... or borrow one. :)

Thanks for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm pretty sure the sticker should be on the airbox itself not the tank. If you remove your tank you should see something similar to this. This isn't an S4 but it looks similar underneath when you pull the tank.. I think this is the sticker you are looking for..

G

·
Yes, mine was on the airbox housing. But I'm talking about the '06-'07 Daytona, so maybe yours is different. I would call Freedom Cycle. Those guys were extremely helpful. They can use your VIN to tell if the bike is a CA bike or not. Plus, they may know where the sticker is located. It's gotta be on your bike somewhere.
Here's their # (775)358-3500
Ask for Craig or Mark or Allen. Super nice guys.
I live in the Sac area, and I had the guys at the Reno shop try to remove my sticker so I could relocate it under the seat, but it can't be removed without destroying it. Don't get caught with someone else's sticker on your bike. I'm sure that's some kind of fraud.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
I am not going to have a chance to take a look until tomorrow, but I am pretty sure mine was California legal when it was new. The odd little canister below the EXUP valve is off of mine now, but it is a California evaporative canister. Beats me how you would take the sticker off, but I can certainly look to see if it is there.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
My sticker is in the same place as shown in the picture on the airbox. If it isn't there on yours, maybe check the evap canister under the tail?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all your responses. i finally got in contact w/ someone who was able to check up on the vin... it's a 49 state bike. :(

oh well... time to run the 1k. ;)

G

·
That could be a problem too. I'm pretty sure the DMV uses the odometer reading from the time of purchase. You should have had an odometer disclosure statement on your title. I'd check in on this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts