Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
So if I do the allen bolt trick I don't have to do a tune? From what I've read a tune is required with a bypass plate but not with this simple mod.

I have am alomost new 09 Speedy (1k miles) with an Arrow 3-1 low boy. The dealer put in the tune for the Arrow 3-1 with Secondary Air Injection, but it popped quite a bit on decel.

I plugged the Secondary Air Injection by shoving the appropriately sized Allen bolt down the middle hose below the solenoid, before it splits into the 3 other hoses that go into the valve cover.

Then to ensure no air gets past the bolt I put a hose clamp tightly around the outside of the hose where the bolt sits, so it's very snugly holding the bolt in place and not letting any air seep past the bolt through the hose. The solenoid and everything else was left hooked up and as it was.

The dealer then put in the tune for tha Arrow 3-1 without SAI and everything seems OK and there's no engine light, but it still pops a bit on decel, especially as the revs drop below around 4500 in each gear. It's less than before, but still quite noticeable. Otherwise the bike runs well, but seems quite rich (pipe is black inside and I smell like fumes everytime I come back from a ride ;-).

Do you think I plugged the SAI correctly/completely? If yes, why does it still pop? Also, is there a separate crank case ventilation breather/hose other than the SAI system? I haven't noticed it, but I must admit that I haven't looked for it. If the SAI was acting as the crank case vent system, wouldn't plugging it cause problems, including pressure building in the crank case, etc?

Your help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Like the original poster, my sai tube was plugged, and the bike did not pop for about 3 miles. Then the "computer" readjusted and it pops just like it did before the plug between 3500-4500 rpm.

I'm hoping a non-sai tune will cure this; I have arrow slip-ons on the 08 S3.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes! Dealer downloaded a new tune and it made the idle erratic and the popping was just as bad. They did another tune and it worked! I'd say 90% of the popping is gone, just enough left to remind me of the Triumph "character" and the idle is perfectly smooth. Slip on tips are a shade darker from the richening.

Life is good!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.