Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have am alomost new 09 Speedy (1k miles) with an Arrow 3-1 low boy. The dealer put in the tune for the Arrow 3-1 with Secondary Air Injection, but it popped quite a bit on decel.

I plugged the Secondary Air Injection by shoving the appropriately sized Allen bolt down the middle hose below the solenoid, before it splits into the 3 other hoses that go into the valve cover.

Then to ensure no air gets past the bolt I put a hose clamp tightly around the outside of the hose where the bolt sits, so it's very snugly holding the bolt in place and not letting any air seep past the bolt through the hose. The solenoid and everything else was left hooked up and as it was.

The dealer then put in the tune for tha Arrow 3-1 without SAI and everything seems OK and there's no engine light, but it still pops a bit on decel, especially as the revs drop below around 4500 in each gear. It's less than before, but still quite noticeable. Otherwise the bike runs well, but seems quite rich (pipe is black inside and I smell like fumes everytime I come back from a ride ;-).

Do you think I plugged the SAI correctly/completely? If yes, why does it still pop? Also, is there a separate crank case ventilation breather/hose other than the SAI system? I haven't noticed it, but I must admit that I haven't looked for it. If the SAI was acting as the crank case vent system, wouldn't plugging it cause problems, including pressure building in the crank case, etc?

Your help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Small amount of pops is normal, just as long as they are not proper big backfires. I have noticed the same around the same 4000-5000 rpm area on closed throttle on two different bikes. Air leaks in exhaust usually increase afterburn, so you might want to doublecheck that header is properly torqued & sealed on head.

The exhaust pops because the bike goes lean on that particular rev range on closed throttle. Might have something to do with the ECU switching from air map based fuel calculation to MAP sensor based too abruptly.

Sounds like you blocked the right tube. Some amount of soot is normal on Triples. SAI has nothing to do with crank breathing on normal 1050 setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Martin R

Thank you very much Martin R, that's very helpful. BTW, where's the crank case breather/PCV on the 09? I must be blind, but I haven't come across it yet. Thanks again.
Cheers,
Alex

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Crankcase is breathing to airbox via one of the thicker tubes. Back righthand corner if I remember right.

Idea behind this is to be environmentally friendly and burn the excess oil vapour along with normal combustion.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So if I do the allen bolt trick I don't have to do a tune? From what I've read a tune is required with a bypass plate but not with this simple mod.

I have am alomost new 09 Speedy (1k miles) with an Arrow 3-1 low boy. The dealer put in the tune for the Arrow 3-1 with Secondary Air Injection, but it popped quite a bit on decel.

I plugged the Secondary Air Injection by shoving the appropriately sized Allen bolt down the middle hose below the solenoid, before it splits into the 3 other hoses that go into the valve cover.

Then to ensure no air gets past the bolt I put a hose clamp tightly around the outside of the hose where the bolt sits, so it's very snugly holding the bolt in place and not letting any air seep past the bolt through the hose. The solenoid and everything else was left hooked up and as it was.

The dealer then put in the tune for tha Arrow 3-1 without SAI and everything seems OK and there's no engine light, but it still pops a bit on decel, especially as the revs drop below around 4500 in each gear. It's less than before, but still quite noticeable. Otherwise the bike runs well, but seems quite rich (pipe is black inside and I smell like fumes everytime I come back from a ride ;-).

Do you think I plugged the SAI correctly/completely? If yes, why does it still pop? Also, is there a separate crank case ventilation breather/hose other than the SAI system? I haven't noticed it, but I must admit that I haven't looked for it. If the SAI was acting as the crank case vent system, wouldn't plugging it cause problems, including pressure building in the crank case, etc?

Your help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Like the original poster, my sai tube was plugged, and the bike did not pop for about 3 miles. Then the "computer" readjusted and it pops just like it did before the plug between 3500-4500 rpm.

I'm hoping a non-sai tune will cure this; I have arrow slip-ons on the 08 S3.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ive heard of alot of people having popping with the 08-09 speed triples when removing the SAI, its all in the tuning with those bikes....as far as the 05-07 the SAI works great and adds throttle response

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed my own 3 into 1 arrow and then had to ride the bike to the dealer popping and pinging all the way but as soon as the tune was downloaded he took it for a test run and perfect, no more popping or backfiring instantly. Are your tunes for arrow downloading correctly I wonder because my experience is total fix after new tune installed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes! Dealer downloaded a new tune and it made the idle erratic and the popping was just as bad. They did another tune and it worked! I'd say 90% of the popping is gone, just enough left to remind me of the Triumph "character" and the idle is perfectly smooth. Slip on tips are a shade darker from the richening.

Life is good!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I have a 06 with SAI not plugged, and full Arrow Low Boy, it pops and shoots out blue flame at same rev rang. Service manager at Baxter said it took them three try’s to get the right tune. I think they loaded the full race arrow tune. Anyway I love the pops and the sound more noise is better over here to keep you from getting run over. I plugged the SAI on my Sprint with TORS and all it did was start a lot faster. Dealer said if its not broke don’t try and fix it, and the wife’ agrees after a couple of hundred dollar mistakes LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts