Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a Kawi ZR-7S. It was a nice bike, considered street bike by insurance and with full coverage 100/300 full coverage with everything including medical payments was around 325 per year. Since selling it I've been looking at 5th and 6th gen Honda VFR's and Superhawks. Neither bike really wows me too much. The VFR isn't bad on insurance, it's considered a street sport and the Superhawk is considered a high performance. I just found a 2000 Sprint RS with 14K miles that appears to be well taken care of and I can get it for around 3K which seams like a great deal. It's as comfortable as the VFR with performance similar to the Superhawk. Progressive is trying to tell me that it is classified at as a high performance bike on a higher tier than the Superhawk. I can't believe this. With my current policy just replacing the Kawi, they want to charge 855/year. I tried dropping my coverage down to 25/50 without medical payments and upping my deductible to 500 from 250 and it's still like 580. Does anyone know any other insurance companies that don't classify this bike as a high performance supersport? Please, I like this bike and it seems like the perfect fit....thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome

To the forum collestat:)

The Sprint RS is a bit more rare than the Sprint ST and is almost identical apart from a few minor details the most obvious being the fairing.

I wonder if you could help me out as in Australia I am not familiar with the "Superhawk", we have the VTR 1000 Fire Storm Vee Twin, The CBR 1000RR Fire Blade and the VFR 800 Sports Tourer.

What is the engine configuration and style of the Superhawk?
I assume it is a Sports Tourer or sports bike?

On being new here Donski & I ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies:)
Thanks in advance and enjoy the forum.

We have quite a few RS owners here, including my Friend steventhechef will be along soon no doubt.

cheers
DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner with that info. I did find some other articles about insurance info and am waiting till monday to do some quotes and whatnot. I just don't get why this bike is rated so frigging high. It's 9 years old and not really that fast or that popular. It's not like I'm trying to insure a GSXR 1000 though from the sound of things it might actually be easier to insure. ***

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually in Naperville...I just say Chicago on here because people from all over the world can usually relate to Chicago but Naperville would make people wonder...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Try Nationwide. They were considerably less for my RS than Progressive.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Also try Geico. I used to be with Progressive, until a year ago. I got my renewal quote and even though I had a speeding ticket go OFF my record my insurance went UP 50% !!!! I called and asked "***?" and it turns out that in the meantime they'd re-classified the Sprint (ST) as a supersport bike of some variety. I tried to explain to them that the "T" in "ST" stands for "touring", but, as you may know, the people on the phone really have no power.

Geico, on the other hand, was substantially more reasonable, offering me insurance at 1/3 the rate of my renewal quote from Progressive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jellero, that post was pretty much useless. I contacted Dairyland and they actually gave me pretty good rates.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello:
I have a 2004 ST.American Family for the bike.And State Farm for renters and two Jeeps.The Amfam bike rates are hard to beat...except for the RS.The RS and ST are the same bike in my opinion,but Amfam considers the RS a racing bike so it is "blacklisted"(not insureable by them) I don't know why...maybe the inst panel.Anyway,call up Amfam,maybe the policy has changed from a couple of years ago when I first inquired about Sprint insureance.

Perry.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Collestat,

You might try contacting Kirk at Ace Cycle Insurance. He hangs out on the forum at www.motorcycle.com (one of the advertisers on this site!)

He is a broker, and a motorcyclist. He might be able to help you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My online quote from Progressive.

$2097.71 for minimal liabilty coverage and $1000 deductible on my '08 ST. They are cordially invited to kiss my white, hairy a$$.

It was over 4K with uninsured motorist coverage.

I'll be exploring other options.:mad:

That is more than 3X what I pay to insure my E320 Mercedes!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im in Saint Charles, IL.
I use State Farm..
for my 08 1050, 250 Comp /1000 Col. I pay $329 / yr
250/250 would run $478
250/500 would be $418

1 - 16 of 16 Posts