Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the tires on an '03 Thunderbird (not my sport)
which came with 110/80x18 front and 150/80x16 rear radials.
I can't seem to find a matching set anywhere online. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Avon Storm/Azarro

That's the only radials available in those sizes.
Since the Storm series is the replacement for the Azarro that is the closest to a matched set that are available.

I used some Dunlops on my 96 when I had it. they were Bias ply

but 100/90x18 150/80x16 were the sizes I settled on.

A bonus was that the speedo was much closer to accurate with the slightly smaller OD front tire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Denny,

Two questions. To be clear, you went to a 100/90, not a 110/90?

And, if the 100/90 has a slightly smaller OD, that would make the speedometer read slightly faster for a given road speed. Was your's reading too slow? Most speedos, especially motorcycle speedos come from the factory a bit optimistic by design.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
the previous tire was a very worn 110/80x18 dunlop d205 and it was slightly smaller OD than the one I replaced it with. The math of /80 means 80 percent of the width is only theoretical you must also consider the rim width. So the actual OD needs to be measured or consult the OD spec on the manufacturers site.

Yes my speedo was reading slightly fast before.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I have Metzeler Lasertec on my 2000 T-bird they are available in the correct sizes. The bike handles OK for bias ply tires but I don't ride that aggressively.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The Bridgestone Battalax Bt45 v rated come in stock sizes. A popular value in bias ply when having to buy two sets but my 110/80 reads 80mph at a GPS 75. Ms B's speedo is an indicated 80 with a GPS 76.
Perhaps it's a British thing as her '09 Mini is off by +5 mph too. :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Bridgestone Battalax Bt45 v rated come in stock sizes. A popular value in bias ply when having to buy two sets but my 110/80 reads 80mph at a GPS 75. Ms B's speedo is an indicated 80 with a GPS 76.
Perhaps it's a British thing as her '09 Mini is off by +5 mph too. :p
No its the fact that our miles are metric ;)

The Avons are absolutely superb. I just did 4000 mile round nine countries two up and the tyres look slightly worn, oh and boy ,do they grip!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Cyclepath, go to this site. Southwest Moto Tires.com Great pricing free shipping, on sale until March of next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts