Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 Speed Triple that I bought used and also purchased a new, uninstalled Triumph accessory Arrow 3-1 Low Boy Exhaust from a private party. I finally got it over to the dealer to install and they called me and asked if I had an O2 sensor for it. I informed them that all the parts that I got with the exhaust were sealed in the factory plastic bags that came with the exhaust. The box does have the correct Triumph part number on it and everything so it should be the right part number.

The issue is that the stock 02 sensor is too small for the bung in the Arrow pipe. Can someone help diagnose the problem here? Does the 3-1 exhaust supposed to come with a special 02 sensor or is it designed to use the stock O2 sensor? Is it perhaps that the exhaust part, even though it is the correct Triumph part number, is for an earlier model and thus not compatible with an '08? The dealer is currently trying to see if he can find a reducer or something to make it fit.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I'm dying to get my bike back with the exhaust working properly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The exhaust is for an 06 - 07, with the larger O2 sensor.

You can get an exhaust bung adapter from an exhaust shop.

Or Ill take it off your hands for $600 :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! I was afraid of that but it doesn't sound like a problem that can't be easily fixed.

I checked o2 sensor part numbers for an '07 and '08 on Bike Bandit and they are the same part numbers. The arrow exhaust also must use the same part number regardless of year and fitment issues. I checked it before buying. I guess they like to keep you guessing.

Does anyone have specific experience to tell me the adaptor size or a part number, etc. to get a hold of the right part? Are there only big and small o2 sensors or do they come in many sizes? The bike is at the dealer and I may have to rely on them to go to an exhaust shop and get an adaptor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The '05-'06 and early '07's had the same exhaust. You can tell if it's one of these by looking at the position of the o2 sensor bung. on the '05-early '07's the bung is located right next to the right side rider peg. The later '07-present bikes have the 02 sensor bung in a different spot (farther forward on the header), and it's a different size.
So, here's how you fix your problem:
1. Take your old header and new header to any muffler shop.
2. Show them the different sized bungs.
3. Tell them you want them to install an adapter in the larger bung to make it the same size as the smaller bung.
4. Pay them.
5. Go home and install your exhaust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The '05-'06 and early '07's had the same exhaust. You can tell if it's one of these by looking at the position of the o2 sensor bung. on the '05-early '07's the bung is located right next to the right side rider peg. The later '07-present bikes have the 02 sensor bung in a different spot (farther forward on the header), and it's a different size.
So, here's how you fix your problem:
1. Take your old header and new header to any muffler shop.
2. Show them the different sized bungs.
3. Tell them you want them to install an adapter in the larger bung to make it the same size as the smaller bung.
4. Pay them.
5. Go home and install your exhaust.
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. If they have the o2 sensor would you even need to bring the old header? Wouldn't hurt to bring both.

The only complication is it's at the dealer so I'll have to see if they are willing to take the part out to be fixed. They may want me to go there, pick it up and get it fixed myself before installing.

Thanks for the information. It would kind of be nice for Triumph to change part numbers when little things like this change or was an adaptor for bung size supposed to be with my pipe parts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, you ordered the wrong part. Triumph changed the exhaust configuration without telling anyone. It's a semi-common thing for '07 riders to order wrong exhaust parts. S3 owners with an '07 that has the o2 sensor bung directly behind the right rider peg need to order exhaust parts/systems for the '05-'06 range.
If your Triumph dealer can't install this exhaust for you by putting in a freakin' bung adapter, go pick up your bike immediately and never step foot in there again. Seriously. It's not that hard.
If you have reservations about doing the exhaust yourself, find a buddy who can do it for a 12pack of suds. The only things you need are the torque specs, exhaust, the bung adapter, and the header gaskets, then fresh coolant and oil (and tools are kinda important too). The hardest part of doing the exhaust is removing the radiator and oil cooler, but it's pretty basic mechanics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Or, if you have a Tuneboy, you can clip the o2 sensor off, and use the Tuneboy to turn the stupid thing off. Then you could buy a bung plug at Ace Hardware and not have to worry about it at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh! Great info. I have been shopping around for an exhaust and I guess I have been looking for the wrong ones. I have a later 07' with the bung that is below the clutch. Should I be looking at the 08' or 09' systems or slipons?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I checked o2 sensor part numbers for an '07 and '08 on Bike Bandit and they are the same part numbers. The arrow exhaust also must use the same part number regardless of year and fitment issues.
Nope. BikeBandit microfiches for all 1050 Triples are for 2005 model, even if they list them under 05 to 08. Look at the tail section in their pictures.

O2 sensor size and thread changed at some point, don't know the exact VIN when this happened.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the dealer was on the right track despite the confusion when they called me about this issue. Without my suggestion, they took care of it with an adaptor, remapped it and all is good.

I love the new look and weight loss program. Sounds nice as well.

Thanks for those who replied with help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh! Great info. I have been shopping around for an exhaust and I guess I have been looking for the wrong ones. I have a later 07' with the bung that is below the clutch. Should I be looking at the 08' or 09' systems or slipons?
From what I now know, I would make sure you know if you have the large or small o2 sensor and shop accordingly. Slipons wouldn't replace the portion with the o2 sensor unless I'm mistaken.

I got my Arrow 3-1 system on E-bay brand new, never installed in original packaging for $750. So it was worth the inconvenience of the adaptor. All I could check was the part number in my case. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a different part number for the old and new style.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Carl is correct in saying that the o2 sensor doesn't come in to play if you're just buying slipons. Some areas that would come into play, however, are midpipe diameter and mounting locations. I'm not sure if these are the same on '05-early '07 and late '07-on bikes. You only need to worry about the o2 sensor when shopping for half systems (such as the Trident) or full systems (Arrow or Zard).

·
Registered
74 Posts
just out of curiosity did you pick up the exhaust from a private seller or an ebay store?

if it was a store do you mind sending me the name so I can look them up on ebay.

I'll be shopping for the arrow 3 to 1 in a couple months.

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just out of curiosity did you pick up the exhaust from a private seller or an ebay store?

if it was a store do you mind sending me the name so I can look them up on ebay.

I'll be shopping for the arrow 3 to 1 in a couple months.

thanks
Private Seller. I got lucky it came up just when I got my bike and I jumped on it. There were a lot of bidders and bids but I played my cards right and got a great price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Private Seller. I got lucky it came up just when I got my bike and I jumped on it. There were a lot of bidders and bids but I played my cards right and got a great price.
Hello Carl AMG,
Glad you were able to get your local dealer to help sort out the issue with your o2 issue on the arrow 3 in 1 exhaust. Its a funny thing, i just ran into the exact same issue on the exact same bike with the exact same exhaust. My 08 speed triple had arrow slipons and I just recently picked up a slightly used arrow 3 in 1 exhaust and got it installed. Was so happy till I went to bolt on the oxygen sensor and I encountered the same problem. Much larger hole in exhaust header pipe than the smaller oxygen sensor that comes stock on our 08 speed triple. By chance, could you help me with what adaptor the dealer came up with or how they got your o2 sensor successfully installed on your bike?

What part of fairfax are you in? I grew up in Fx city and spent most of my life there. Now im just bout 25 min west of you in the manassas/gainesville, va area. We will have to meet up and ride sometime in the spring if you would like. I havent seem any speed triples in this area since ive had my bike in late 2008.

Thanks for any info you can provide for the oxygen sensor arrow exhaust issue.

mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have much detail on the adaptor part they used. Clinton Cycles did the work and should be able to source the part for you. There is only the two sizes of O2 sensor out there.

I live near GMU off Popes Head Rd. I'd be interested in a ride some time. I recently joined DC Rat Riders on Facebook and they get rides going often.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great, thanks so much Carl. Ill be sure to get on the phone with clinton cycles in the morning and see if they can research what they used and get the same thing for me. I have to take the bike over there for re-tune anyways following the new install of the 3 in 1 system.
Worst case scenario, if they cant figure out what they used is it possible for you to give them a ring and give em your name to pull up the invoice and see what adaptor they came up with. I called clinton cycles a few times lately for small stuff and found that alot of the experienced parts guys have left, im only left with new guys that couldnt help me fine alot of the basic things for my bike. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts