Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Recently purchased a T140E (78') with a shocking wiring job on it. A hash attempt has been taken at integrating a Lucas AB11 ignition but the circuit is buggered. Can anybody please point me towards a good electrical diagram from where I can deduct what is what etc... also, I if was to upgrade the ignition to another type (boyer?) can any of you recommend a good, reliable make? Is the Lucas an OK ignition?

Ta in advance.

Eddy.:confused:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not unusual

Recently purchased a T140E (78') with a shocking wiring job on it.
If your T140E is an early '78 then it will have a single phase alternator (2 wire) and positive ground. Later in '78 the 2 wire was changed to a 3 wire two phase alternator and the ground was changed to negative. The Haynes Triumph 650 & 750 manual has accurate diagrams for both configurations. For the single phase positive ground use the T140V diagram on page 210 & and for the later use the T140E diagram on 211.

The previous owner of my T140E was confused by the positive ground and made a mess of the original harness. Red, black and white colored wire was used to patch/fix things up so it was very confusing. I got tired of fixing his modifications and replaced the harness recently.

I've only used Boyer but have never had a problem. The MkIII I installed in 1993 still works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.

i have removed the whole loom and will very soon be
looking at it and will draw a diagram to get an idea
what has been done!

watch this space and thanks for the info.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts