Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a shiny new pillion.

We need to buy her a helmet and she doesn't want a Shoei (being the only helmets I have first hand experience with) because they are a touch pricy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am also intending on fitting her up with the autocom headset if you are familiar with it.

thanks,
shane

·
Registered
157 Posts
Get a good helmet and keep her shiny!!!

I got both my RF1000's fairly cheap on eBay. Usually lots of Buy it Now listings but shipping might be painful for you. If you're lucky like I was, she can wear the same size with bigger cheek pad inserts, and you get yourself a nighttime helmet in the bargain.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Brand does`nt matter, fit does .It should be snug with out being uncomfortable on full face you be able to grasp the jaw and and have no free movement on her head,there are different styles for different head shapes. A helmut should be replace every 5 years .and I wouldn`t buy used you don`t know the history ,a crack or chip could compromise the helmut.
my 2.2cents :hammer:

·
Registered
459 Posts
If she only has a $200 head (which I am sure she hasn't) buy her a $200 helmet.

Get her the most expensive lid which is a perfect fit but don't pay for the expensive graphics. Shoie Raid II's are very highly rated in the UK in plain colours.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Hi shane,
it is a very personal choice as stated because fit is what is most important and we all have differeny shaped heads............apparently :)

My last three helmuts were Arai, HJC and current is a Suomy Trek which only cost me $318.00. Wayne Gardner imports is the importer.

The Suomy fits me really well, I think the best thing to do is just to shop around, a cheapo helmut will be just as safe but may be a lousy fit, may be very noisy or have poor vents or a crummy visor fitting.

My 2 cents worth, but ventilatioon is a big issue here in Summer.

Good luck,
Davem :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
A few months back there was a very interesting article (either Motorcyclist or Cycle World) on tests done on most of the name brands. Some of ther low end helmets were actually rated higher than the expensive ones.
I think proper fit is the most important issue with any helmet, followed by visibility, noise level and ventilation. HJC's have done me a good job, Shoei would probably be my second choice. I bought a Bell Sprint a year ago...sent it back...too bad Bell doesn't make a decent helmet anymore...such a cool logo.

TM

·
Registered
564 Posts
Shane
get her a good lid by all means, but once you get the intercom you're condemned to listen.
what would this be like once the "honeymoon's" worn off :(

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Mate, I'd be putting as much of your own money towards a good helmet as you can afford. NEVER stint on the pillion!

When it comes to riding gear, my wife tends to be upgraded first with the best stuff I can afford. She's happy, I'm happy.

Rod

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife bought an Arai NR-5. Plain colours but at a good price. Around $200 - $250 at Peter Stevens in Ringwood. It was on special though. You pay a lot extra for the fancy graphics and replica helmets.

[ This message was edited by: jvb on 2006-12-15 23:56 ]

·
Registered
561 Posts
Shane,
there is a lot of BS about helmets. Firstly all helmets that come into this country have to pass standards. I bought last year two RXT DUO's flip up's. One for me and one for the minister for war and finance. I don't believe in the saying "million dollar helmet for a million dollar head". There are many things that go into buying a helmet, fit, comfort, size and safety. Many years ago I went out a bought one the early flip up BMW helmets. Sure it was safe but the bloody thing gave me a headache every time I wore it. In the end it does come down to cost, safety and comfort and somewhere in there you will find the right helmet for the lovely one.

Cya and good luck The Tankman

:chug: :chug: :chug: :lgh: :lgh: :lgh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts