Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering ordering a helmet online, as there isn't much of a selection in the local area - unless I want one with a Harley logo on it! ;)

After following the online measurement instructions, it looked like I would need a L (59.5 cm, 23-1/2 in.). However, just as a test, I tried on a couple of helmets at a H-D dealership. The helmets I tried were manufactured by HJC. The L was way too tight, and the XL seemed to fit perfectly. Is this likely an issue with my head shape?

Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you do a search you'll find plenty of info and opinions on this matter. But to answer your question, yes, due to all the variations in helmet sizes, shell sizes, lining thickness, cheek size, noggin shape, etc., you will likely get a different "feel" by different helmet manufacturers.
The most important thing is going to be comfort. Some people suggest walking around the store with a helmet for 1/2 hr to see how comfortable it is. Since this is not going to happen for you, be sure you find a vendor that has a great return policy so that if it doesn't fit, you can return it for another size.
But, places like webbikeworld.com, and helmetharbor.com offer great reviews of individuals helmets including which helmets TYPICALLY fit which types of heads. It might help you on your search.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts