Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm setting up this thread as a sticky for people to post pictures of their helmets (not helmet cam of the road :D).

Please follow the general site rules re: picture size (generally 800x600 is the MAX to account for all screen sizes and d/l speeds).

Hopefully over time we'll build up a collection of cool pics :cool:.

If possible please label the subject with the helmet brand and model and note if it's a standard or custom paint job.

If you want, in the message body note if the helmet is light, noisy (with or without ear plugs) and any other features you think are beneficial or a pain.

This information will help others decide what helmet they would like.

Thanks all and have fun!
Russ

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,597 Posts

Closeup shot to follow...

·
30,463 Posts
Shoei RF 1000 black

This is my Lid. I am searching for the "right" custom artwork for it.

In order to help achieve the ultimate artwork, I fashion home made decals on vinyl sticker paper using the computer. First go is a very simple smiley from "The Watchmen" Graphic novel. I have never been big into comic books - but I always liked that one. Here are 2 views - general side view of my bugsplattered lid, and a view of the decal. It's a bit wrinkly as you can see, BUT it is a cheap way of trying custom artwork to see what loks good - once you know what you want, you can take your lid to someone who can paint your art on in an unwrinkled manner.

The Shoei RF 1000 fits well - is very comfortable, I can wear it for a full 13 hours no problem, and has a "reasonable" noise level, although I always wear earplugs on long journeys. It accepts helmet speakers very well if you are in to that.

General side view:

Rear view of Watchmen smiley.

Other things I want to try:

Shark teeth
Mooneyes
Flags - Union Jack one side, Old glory the other.

EDIT: Considering Peter Griffin (family Guy) as an option.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My helmet...

Here's my helmet. Arai Quantum II. The only thing I am considering to add a small Union Jack sticker on the sides and a triumph decal on the back. Oh the backdrop, Mt Laguna in San Diego facing east toward the desert.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mine is an AIROH S4 road legal motocross style helmet with visor. The peak can be removed if you so desire as can the visor if you want to wear goggles. It is available in various colours but I chose the silver version to go with my silver Tiger.

Good points.
It is light, well ventilated and my Autocom headset fits with no problems.

Bad points.
In really wet weather it steams up pretty qiuckly which I find strange as it is well ventilated. :confused:

Andy.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This is my Scorpion EXO700 at the Salt Flats.
I like the fit better than my Shoei. It's quieter at speed and has much better ventilation. With summertime temps around here at 90-100F, the better ventilation is definitely a plus.

·
Registered
47 Posts
my new lid: Shark RSR2 Corser

So I had been riding with an Icon Mainframe ('04) for awhile. Bought it with my first bike ('04 Vegas). Nice starter helmet. But after riding it for several years in the Texas heat, then painting it (flat black) to better match the Speedy, it was time to upgrade.

I did extensive research in choosing the new lid. Started looking in late Feb and didn't make my final choice until early July. I tried on just about every brand, model, shape, and style. My goals were to get a lighter, quieter, and better fitting helmet. And if it had style, then that's ok too :p

For Quiet: You can't beat the Arai, but I didn't want to spend the $$$
For Weight: Shark wins hands down
For Fit: The Shoei RF1000 & X11 were tied with the RSR2
For Style: Well that's really a matter of personal preference, but I usually tend to go with simple, basic, matte black (usually)

So I had narrowed it down to the Shoei & Shark based on fit. But price and a few negatives against the Shoei for noise left me with the Shark.

Found it on Ebay for a Buy-It-Now price of $345 so the price was right. Added a smoked visor for reducing the heat from the TX sun and all I can say is I am extremely happy with the purchase.

Its quieter, lighter, fits better, and is definitely better looking than my old Icon.

So if you're looking for a new lid, give the Shark line a try.

.....now for that new jacket :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had been out of riding for 15 years when I got my Bonnie Black last month so I had to buy a helmet too. The one I chose and took home from the dealer with my bike was the Scorpion EXO-1000. Nice lid, ventilation can make your head COLD and it's got some cool features. (Internal flip-down sun visor and air pump cheek pads.)

Unfortunately I was so excited about the bike that I didn't pay enough attention to the helmet. It doesn't fit the shape of my head very well. Should have left it on my head for a longer time before making the decision. Lesson learned! Time for a new helmet.

After trying on many helmets in every place I could find that sells them, I settled on the Arai Profile.

Fits my long oval head great, is comfortable for hours and feels light on my head. Less noise and turbulence than the Scorpion had. Doesn't vent quite as well as the Scorpion but it is still very good and my head hasn't sweat much at all on rides in the low 90's.

I like the looks of the Arai better too. The Scorpion made me look like an astronaut. The Arai Profile has a sleek, classic look and goes with the Bonnie better IMO.

If you're helmet shopping, try on lots of helmets and wear them for a long time before making a decision. Pay attention to any pressure points you sense. A new helmet that fits will be somewhat snug feeling but will "pack in" over time. You should not even consider it if you feel any uncomfortable pressure. Especially in the forehead.

Ride safely! :)

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,597 Posts
So, here's the closeup of the helmet. The desert mermaid:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice Hijack of a review thread

So I figured I'd check in on any replies and post an update on my helmet review only to find my thread had been hijacked a moved to a useless picture thread :ThumbsDown:

I guess looks matter more than Fit, Form, & Function.....:welldone:

So I had been riding with an Icon Mainframe ('04) for awhile. Bought it with my first bike ('04 Vegas). Nice starter helmet. But after riding it for several years in the Texas heat, then painting it (flat black) to better match the Speedy, it was time to upgrade.

I did extensive research in choosing the new lid. Started looking in late Feb and didn't make my final choice until early July. I tried on just about every brand, model, shape, and style. My goals were to get a lighter, quieter, and better fitting helmet. And if it had style, then that's ok too :p

For Quiet: You can't beat the Arai, but I didn't want to spend the $$$
For Weight: Shark wins hands down
For Fit: The Shoei RF1000 & X11 were tied with the RSR2
For Style: Well that's really a matter of personal preference, but I usually tend to go with simple, basic, matte black (usually)

So I had narrowed it down to the Shoei & Shark based on fit. But price and a few negatives against the Shoei for noise left me with the Shark.

Found it on Ebay for a Buy-It-Now price of $345 so the price was right. Added a smoked visor for reducing the heat from the TX sun and all I can say is I am extremely happy with the purchase.

Its quieter, lighter, fits better, and is definitely better looking than my old Icon.

So if you're looking for a new lid, give the Shark line a try.

.....now for that new jacket :eek:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Arai RX7 Corsair 'New Gibernau'. It's got fair wind noise & the visor/faceshield is fiddly to fit but other than that it's very good. It should be for the price.

DaveB.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Shoei X-Eleven

Snagged this Shoei X-Eleven for $200 on eBay. This Shoei X-Eleven size SMALL with the
standard 35mm cheek pads was a bit too snug. I ordered the narrowest 31mm cheek pads,
and now she fits just right. They also offer 39mm and 43mm thicknesses. Cheek pads are
the KEY to fine-tuning the fit of any helmet, I think.

This is the quietest helmet I've had. The others helmets I've owned were an HJC CL-SP,
a Scorpion EXO-400, and Arai Signet GT-R.

The liner in the Arai is still my favorite, but this Shoei is a close second.

Here's an accurate review, in my opinion...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/x-eleven/

(NOTE: those are stickers, not paint. Go South Carolina Gamecocks!)

1 - 20 of 118 Posts