Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to change the color of my helmet, any special paint or prepping that should be done, if it can be done?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Paint

Depends on if you're going to use rattle cans or a spray gun.
In either case, you need to sand with 1000grit wet/dry paper, to break the glaze on your clear coat. Mask off any areas with painters tape (don't use regular masking tape or duct tape get the good stuff, usually blue in color) and spray however many coats it takes to cover your base color. You'll likely end up with four or five light coats, drying in between.
Finish of with clear laquer or clear coat and you've got a new helmet.
You weren't specific if you are painting one color or several, in which case it gets a little complicated but that's basically the way to start.
Good luck

·
Registered
673 Posts
My dad did his silver with a rattle can and it looks great. I don't think he even sanded it. I don't know how durable it will be, but helmets look good when they are a little used looking. Just watch if you get gas on your fingers when putting it back on after a fill up or you will have fingerprints.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info kiofarm.how things in st. augustine, they got that bridge finished yet?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Bridge to nowhere

thanks for the info kiofarm.how things in st. augustine, they got that bridge finished yet?
Nah, they are working like crazy though, I think they are shooting for finishing this next year, it was a five year project beginning in 05.
At this point they are just beginning to replace all the metal beams that span the islands, they are finished rebuilding the four towers in the center drawspan and are working on changing the lane structures off and on the bridge. They just replaced the two rampant lions on the city side.
Ironically, the temporary bridge that cost $6million and was designed to be torn down when the other bridge was completed, now has a "save our temporary bridge" group that is lobbying to keep the structure. Apparently based on the cost/waste of building and then tearing down a perfectly good bridge.....they have pasted stickers all over town.
Life goes on....look me up next time you're in town.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I spray painted my glossy black helmet to a matte black helmet, straight from the spray can. Worked great except I had to repeat sand due to not a fine enough grit (leaves sanding swirls after re-painting). But after a few re-sands, looked good as new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts