Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few seasons I have been riding with a Suomy Explorer which is a great helmet, nice light weight and comfortable. So nice in fact that I gave away my HJC Sy Max because I never wore it after buying the Suomy. The Suomy is now three years old and I am thinking about a replacement. The helmet that has really caught my attention is the HJC IS 16. The one that has the interior sunscreen. I have very light sensitive eyes and need some form of tinted shields I have tried sunglasses under a clear screen and find it very uncomfortable and changing out shields on a ride is a bit impractical. This helmet seems to be my ideal. Anyone have one? Seen it or have an opinion? I saw that Scorpion also has a similar helmet but I read that it is much heavier than the HJC

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Rickyt
I am currently using the HJC-fs10 carbon. It's very light, reasonably quite(as long as you keep the visor down). It also has the built in sun visor. Looks really nice too.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I just purchased the FS10 which also has the sunglasses inside. Personally I ride with my oakleys on and I would prefer it that way but it is still nice to have the sunglasses in case I dont have my shades. I kinda think the sunglasses distort my vision just slightly to the point where I notice it. But i have sensitive vision when it comes to changes, my buddy doesn't even notice it in his helmet. The helmet fits nice and the fog is non existent. The key though is good fit on your head.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The proper helmet is the helmet that fits you properly no matter the brand.

Just for those that don't know.
When trying a helmet you should be able to put it on and without fastening the strap, you should be able to vigorously shake and nod your head without the helmet slipping or sliding around at all.
Then when cinched up I like to wear it at least 30-45 minutes looking for hot spots. If there is a hot spot try another because it won't get any better. You want to be able to wear it all day long and not know it's on.
One thing I've noticed is that the manufacturers are very consistent.
My dealer had a heck of a deal on Arai's for $300us so I bought another one a couple of weeks ago. The new one fit the same as the old one has.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It seems to be the wrong way round but as I get older I am getting more sensitive to noise whilst riding. I have just stopped wearing my Arai as it was very noisy and gone over to the Schuberth S1 Pro which is very quiet. In fact at the moment I have even stopped wearing ear plugs!

As was said though manufacturers seem to use different head shapes and it is important to find one that fits you. A helmet shop, the other day, was telling me that they fit a helmet by putting it on (no strap), pushing the helmet forward and you should be just able to get a finger between the helmet and your forehead. It is true that any sort of pressure on your forehead WILL give you a headache quite quickly.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I moved up to a Scorpion Exo 400 from and AGV Miglia. The Scorpion fits great, is very comfortable, and well padded. I got the chin curtain, dark visor, and black twisties ( to match the black helmet) all for $180 from STG. The visor changes very easily, no tools. The helmet is a lot quieter than my first one, cuts through the air much better, and the ventilation is fantastic with a port on the chinbar, three ports on the forehead, a vent on the rear spoiler, and two lower vents on the back at the bottom........let's just say it moves some air. Also has a breath deflector. I wear glasses, and the padding does not interfere. For the price, I am very, very happy with this helmet. This helmet is VERY comfortable, and I'd reccomend it even over some higher priced helmets.

---Charlie

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dealer had a heck of a deal on Arai's for $300us so I bought another one a couple of weeks ago. The new one fit the same as the old one has.
Arai kind of irratated me.
I've always been an Arai fan, having several of the early Signet and Quantum models(/f, /s, /r) when it came time to get a new helmet (after 8 years) I picked up a new Quantum 2 for a dream price. What they didnt tell me is that the head shape changed from the Q to the Q2...dammit! After a few hours of riding I had this nice little "spot" of a blister on my forehead. :( It fit great when I tried it on, even walked around the store for about 30 mins with it on with no issues, something about the wind pressure or hot weather maybe???

I got it all worked out though, sold the Q2 and have a new Corsair V coming (hopefully today). The new Vector and Corsair are the same shape as the old Q's.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have 2 helmets and they both have the internal visor

The first is a Caberg Solo, it's a basic full face with a cool paint scheme and a mirrored internal visor. it's fairly loud at speed, but I wear a set of custom molded ear plugs. It is not a heavy helmet, and fits my round head well. They stopped distributing in the US, so you can get a good closeout deal:

http://www.michaelspowersportsonline.com/servlet/the-211/Caberg-Motorcycle-Helmet-with/Detail

Ny newest lid is a Shark Evoline. I picked it up last year in London, and they are now being distributed in the US. It's a flip up design with an internal visor. Similar to a Roof Boxer, but much better fit and finish, and VERY quiet. The flip top takes some getting used to, but works very well. The inner visor is a medium tint. So far, I have nothing negative to say about this lid.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-evoline/dot/

·
Registered
999 Posts
For the last few seasons I have been riding with a Suomy Explorer which is a great helmet, nice light weight and comfortable. So nice in fact that I gave away my HJC Sy Max because I never wore it after buying the Suomy.
<snip>
And I thank you for the gift everytime I go out riding!!

Funny, like you and the Symax, I haven't worn the new Shoei RF 1000 that I had on the day we all rode together last May!!

Gerry

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have 2 helmets.
A Shoei XR1000 which is brilliant. I've worn it for 3 years now and although a little scuffed and battered its still really comfy. The wind noise is noticably increased when i use my clear visor with pinlock insert. I have a smoked visor without pinlock and it so much quieter.
I also have a BMW Sportintegral, which i bought in a sale. Bad mistake. Its really quiet and comfy but the strap fastener is a massive chunky box like thing which digs in to my adams apple and i cant adjust it. It seemed ok when i bought it but after a half hour or so its a real pain. I was looking to replace the straps with Double D fasteners to no avail. I dont use it now.
The shark evoline looks good...

·
Registered
150 Posts
My new lid...

It has a bit more wind noise than the Quantum 2, but definetely quieter than the Shark RSi (and it fits sooo much better).
Not the deep drone, but just wind noise.
On the upside, all that noise equates to a nice "tropical breeze" inside the helmet.

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Nolan N102

I have been riding with a Suomy Trek for 3 years or there abouts and just bought one of these yesterday N102 in solid silver:

http://www.nolan.it/catalogo_09.jsp?iditem=57&lng=en

It is not as light as the Suomy but I really like the flip up chin bar, the sun visor and the great vents it has.

Quite a lot of clever features including ear recesses etc (like my Suomy) for intercom use and prewired for the N-com system.

Oh and of course it fits my noggin really well and is most comfortable with replaceable innards.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got a Shoei RF-900 on clearance a couple of years ago. Still fits perfect, getting a little scratched up and I need a new visor. Other than that its great. Way nicer than the CL-14 I had before it.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Question

A question.

While on the subject of helmets, I have many brands on the shelf, but Arai's are my favorite and always the coolest (temperature that is, I live in the sun belt).

My question is; With the Arai's, I wear out the chin strap long before the helmet is worn out. The strap frays and self destructs very soon. Heavy beard and daily use. Can the strap be replaced?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have two helmets...both Scorpion. I bought an EXO400 (size Large) back in October, that just never seemed to "break in". The cheek pads gave me serious squishy-face and actually made my teeth hurt after an hour or so, until I took the removable pads out and cut a 1/4" to 3/8" out of the foam. Then I tried on an EXO700 Scorpion (also a Large) at my Triumph dealer and it fit much better right away, seeming to be a more long oval shape in the forehead pads and not so tight in the cheek pads. I put the EXO400 on the shelf and now only wear the EXO700. I think the EXO700 also flows more air through its vents than the EXO400. Downside on both helmets: both are very noisy from wind off the Sprint's windscreen, which seems to hit me at shoulder level.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
A question.

While on the subject of helmets, I have many brands on the shelf, but Arai's are my favorite and always the coolest (temperature that is, I live in the sun belt).

My question is; With the Arai's, I wear out the chin strap long before the helmet is worn out. The strap frays and self destructs very soon. Heavy beard and daily use. Can the strap be replaced?

Warden:

You will want to contact Arai's facility in Pennsylvania- don't give up if you can't get through- they are fantastic! They will give you an RGA and will fix any and all issues for you and they do it gratis (if you're in warranty), or on the cheap. I sent my Cathcart replica in for a chin vent replacement, and they did the chin strap, new vents and buffed it for free- and it was five years old and ready for retirement! Best customer service for a helmet company, bar none, although I am a convert to Shoei- I have 2 RF 1000's and I really like them- best visor design for changing to and from the tinted visor, and for adjusting opening while on the move, quiet, beautifully made, etc.

ARAI AMERICA

Address: 5921 Colony Drive
Bethlehem, PA

denoose

·
Registered
150 Posts
A question.

Warden:

You will want to contact Arai's facility in Pennsylvania- don't give up if you can't get through- they are fantastic! They will give you an RGA and will fix any and all issues for you and they do it gratis (if you're in warranty), or on the cheap. I sent my Cathcart replica in for a chin vent replacement, and they did the chin strap, new vents and buffed it for free- and it was five years old and ready for retirement! Best customer service for a helmet company, bar none, although I am a convert to Shoei- I have 2 RF 1000's and I really like them- best visor design for changing to and from the tinted visor, and for adjusting opening while on the move, quiet, beautifully made, etc.

ARAI AMERICA

Address: 5921 Colony Drive
Bethlehem, PA

denoose

I totally agree, the customer service/support from Arai is an oddity in todays business world. Second to none!!!

And yes, they have replacement straps. They are working on a new parts ordering website. They used to have one, but it wasnt very user friendly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts