Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a good helmet lock that fits on the Sprint?

I have found only one variety that seems to work with the bike and the reviews have been only so-so.

(These guys know there bikes.......I had two different employees at the dealer looking for the helmet lock under the seat until finally a third employee came out and said that there wasn't one)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Anybody know a good helmet lock that fits on the Sprint?

I have found only one variety that seems to work with the bike and the reviews have been only so-so.

(These guys know there bikes.......I had two different employees at the dealer looking for the helmet lock under the seat until finally a third employee came out and said that there wasn't one)
So many people are going to flame you for not searching first...

Might I be the one to pop the "use the search function" cherry for you?

--Kory

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
S'Idaho, I have had good service from this vendor re locks. They generally carry industry standards and are one stop shopping for locks.

http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_helmet_holders.htm

I looked back through some threads and the most popular for the Sprint, other than cable locks, seems to be the license plate type. It has the advantage of securing two helmets, as opposed to the single, tube mount style. Note: We have had members report that the license plate style might have caused cracks in their after market tail tidys.

I just chin strap my helmet to the grab bar if I am not going to be away from the bike for any length of time. Otherwise, I use a cable lock. To me, one advantage of a cable lock is that I can run it through a jacket sleeve and secure it along with the helmet. A disadvantage is that a determined thief could be prepared to cut it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went to my Triumph dealership here in Little Rock and just ordered a decent one out of one of the aftermarket suppliers they use. Think I paid twenty-something for a single helmet black-anodized helmet lock. I have attached a picture of where I mounted the helmet lock. This is a good location because once the D-Ring is in the lock, the helmet hangs down and out of the way...at least on this side of the bike. If mounted on the other side of the bike the helmet will hit the swingarm and chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I do the same..

I use a cable lock. .
When I "have" to leave my stuff with the bike I use a cable lock too.

The potential of vandalism of my stuff concerns me too much to leave my lid and jacket unless I absolutely have to.

Call me paranoid :suspicious:

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I use the standard type screw on lock that screws to the frame of the bike. You are right there is nowhere to put it that it actually fits but you can buy a foot of small radiator hose and cut a piece to make it fit. Snug it up good and tight and it works like it was made for the bike.

I too am paranoid. I couldn't imagine being 700 miles away from home and having someone steal my gear. I take it in almost all of the time but will lock it to the bike at things like races at Barber's Motorsports park or Americade.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Smug Mode enabled

Couldn't resist..... :D

If you had the sexy version of the Sprint that was designed to allow you to take the seat off, then you could have done this for a massive £1 per side!

that would be a piece of bent steel that mounts under the seat fairing bolt and takes the D ring. On the other side I cut the steel strip to match the tongue from the Seatbelt catch style of clip. The whole of the strap is hidden under the seat when it is locked back down. Of course some scroat could get them with a fair amount of wrenching, but you could say the same of most solutions out there.

Rexx

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
On my 955, the OEM top box and panniers came with a built-in set of helmet locks, and yours has it too.

Close the lid of your pannier/topbox and hook the latches, but don't close them. Slide the non-D-ring strap on the helmet in from underneath in the gap between the latch, move to one side or the other, adjust slack, and then close the latch and lock.

Voila, helmet locked, no extra keys to carry.

If you have the 955 pannier rails on your bike, you ALWAYS have a helmet lock handy, just use the same method with the rail lock on the left side (or right, if you don't mind a hot helmet!).

If there's a snap on the end of the strap, it's not coming out without a key short of cutting it or destroying the lock plate. If there isn't a strap, it will still take a lot of effort to slide it out.

If the lock doesn't turn past center, move the strap around a bit. Do NOT force the latch closed, with most helmet straps it should easily close if positioned properly, and after the first time you try, you'll get the hang of where the strap should be. Takes no time.

You might be able to use the D-ring side, but there's usually not as much slack to work with. Upside is, the D-ring side is even more secure once locked down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a license plate lot with two lock on my 955. I can only you the left side lock though, the helmet rests against the exhaust on the right. Sure it might be secure but will be nice and melted too. :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
I made my own lock using a U-shaped piece of metal on my 955. It's the same width as the subframe, and the tangs extend a little below it.

On the side tail fairings there is a small lip on top that extends up under the seat. Near the battery, and the forward bolts, is a section of this lip that is cut out. It's coincidentally about the same width as a helmet strap.

To lock my helmet, i remove the seat, put one tang of the lock through the D-rings, and put the lock on the subframe so it straddles it at the cutout in the tail fairing lip. Put the seat back on and it locks the whole thing down.

It's cheap, simple, and pretty strong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts