Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I've put about 50 miles on my new speed and already sick of carrying my helmet every where I go...

Thought about tigging a piece of aluminum to the sub frame but didn't have any flat stock aluminum or a tig, so just ended up tapping a small hole in the sub frame and bending some 1/8" thick mild steel I had.

Shouldn't affect the strength being its on the front side of the cross support, used a fine thread metric bolt because I wanted as many threads as possible in the thinner sub frame. Also threw a lock washer on it to help keep it snug. Have to be careful not to over tighten remember its only aluminum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty slick! What can you see when the helmets not on there?

Cant see anything its all inside the tail. The seat still mounts nice and flat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good idea, well executed. That is Speedy's one flaw IMHO and you've addressed it nicely. I have a cheap HJC that I just hang on the passenger footpeg, and no one has ever walked off with it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
the lack of a factory helmet lock is something that still baffles me. Kind of like the $400 Iphone not sending MMS. Why they dont come fitted with one? The world may never know..

·
Registered
58 Posts
the lack of a factory helmet lock is something that still baffles me. Kind of like the $400 Iphone not sending MMS. Why they dont come fitted with one? The world may never know..
My FJR also lacks helmet hooks which I think is crazy. Their argument is that you put the helmets in the side cases. Great idea if you aren't carrying anything else in them. Jeez, how much does it cost for a tiny hook anyway?

I really like OP's idea except I wonder if there's some way to do the same thing but that clamps on the sub-frame instead?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wouldn't it have something to do with high mount mufflers? Could you imagine this solution working on bike with them?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I may ask, why is it so important to have a helmet lock?
It seems to be more of a US thing. I've never even seen one in the UK.
Those that have top boxes throw their lid in the box. Those that don't carry it.
My fear would be that some scrote would cut the strap of my £400 lid, take it to a shop and have a new strap fitted for a tenner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree about being worried about someone cutting the strap on my new carbon helmet. Has anyone come up with any solutions to this? I hate having to carry my helmet around everywhere.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Helmet Lock

I agree, it is rare to see it in England, mainly as it rains so often, however in France, Italy etc it is very common.

I have a cheap cable lock under the seat and lock my Arai through the visor hole and lock to handle bars, middle section. That way it sits on the tank nicely and stays a little drier if it rains,
Would not do it in London however as it will NOT be there when I come back, more of a thing when parked up on a weekend away from civilization / thieving grouts!

·
Registered
826 Posts
if you are worried about the strap being cut, alot of places sell the short braided steel locks that can just be routed around the chin bar and subframe, then tucked under the seat. it really boils down to the fact if someone really wants the helmet, they are going to get it, but it does prevent someone from walking off with it on a whim and tossing it. same type of punks that will push a bike over and keep walking.

http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_helmet_holders.htm

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I may ask, why is it so important to have a helmet lock?
It seems to be more of a US thing. I've never even seen one in the UK.
Those that have top boxes throw their lid in the box. Those that don't carry it.
My fear would be that some scrote would cut the strap of my £400 lid, take it to a shop and have a new strap fitted for a tenner.
As we say on this side of the pond, 'It more to keep the honest people honest'

;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a DaKine retractable combination cable lock made for snowboards. Like copb8 said, "keep the honest people honest".

If someone wants your helmet that bad, I'm sure they'll find a way to take it!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm taking classes at a local college and ride almost every day. My worry is less about the thing getting stolen than it is about some hung-over college guy trying to look cool and puking in it. I make the sacrifice and carry my helmet wherever I go. The investment makes it work the effort!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Im considering buying a backpack with a place for the helmet on the back. I dont like leaving my X-11 on the bike, could be stolen, could get wet in sudden rain, get bird droppings and what not :p

·
Registered
826 Posts
i bought one off a buddy that was pretty nice. I used it once. it was just too much of a pain to strap it in and out, and i was always nervous that i was going to bang my helmet on something, now i have an Arai XD3, and it wouldnt really fit with the visor, so i just gave the bag away.

one of those things that briefs well, but kinda breaks down in the application

1 - 17 of 17 Posts