Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, my name is Rich and in a few short weeks I will be the owner of a brand new T100 - very excited.

My problem is... I'm a very prolific tinkerer, having owned a few classic cars in the past (with A Triumph GT6 at top of the list).

I love to just makes things better... or sometimes worse as the case may be! Now with modern vehicles, all this EU regulation nonsense is just a hand around the throat of manufacturers and I am very much on the side of making something how it was really intended to be made!

So after spending a few days looking through these forums I've found a great deal of possible modifications that can be done on these wonderful bikes, and it's got me very eager to get into my garage and start working away, the problem is, I feel a bit overwhelmed with the possible options!

So, here I am asking you, what would you suggest after I break in the bike a bit? I'm getting a set of TORS fitted at the dealers so that's the first step, but then what?

If one of you guys were able to get a fresh new bonnie what would you do to it?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Welcome, and congrats!

I have a '73 TR6 (car) so completely understand the prolific tinkering (some necessary, of course). :D

I rode mine for a few years before deciding on what I wanted to do. Right out of the gates, however, I did the AI removal, something you may want to consider, since it may help in prevention of torching your pipes (mine have fared very well), and it hasn't popped since (been a few years). I didn't get into the suspension until I moved from So Cal's smooth roads and back to Michigan's pockmark-fest. The TOR's are a good move...very happy with mine.

Take your time...ride it, prioritize in your mind what's important to you first and have at it! :cool:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm sure you're going to receive plenty of recommendations about improving the suspension, engine performance and so on but as it's a new bike you should only consider mods that don't invalidate the warranty.
If I was to buy a brand new one the first thing I'd change would be the seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses guys, I don't think I'll do anything too major to it yet, as stated I've got that warranty I may as well not void it! Just wanted to get a few ideas of what paths I should start looking down to eek a bit more performance out of it. (And get that 60's sound! I was a bit disappointed with the stock pipes)

The seat I didn't have too much of an issue with on the demo, I actually thought it was quite comfortable- I'm sure this will change after sitting on it for a few hundred miles, but we'll soon see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
- I'm also thinking of adding the dresser bars as I'm terribly clumsy (Not a good thing for riding bikes!) Anyone have any experience with the Triumph ones and how well they faired?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Dresser bars

Mine had dresser bars already fitted when I bought it. I thought they spoilt the looks and offered only minimal protection so off they came and were sold on Ebay.
Renntec engine bars cost about the same, look better and give good engine side cover protection.
Other useful additions to consider - rear rack, centre stand, fly screen.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
So after spending a few days looking through these forums I've found a great deal of possible modifications that can be done on these wonderful bikes, and it's got me very eager to get into my garage and start working away, the problem is, I feel a bit overwhelmed with the possible options!

So, here I am asking you, what would you suggest after I break in the bike a bit? I'm getting a set of TORS fitted at the dealers so that's the first step, but then what?

If one of you guys were able to get a fresh new bonnie what would you do to it?

Thanks guys!
Welcome to the forums, Rich. Here's a thread you may find useful.

Maybe it will help to ease the overwhelming feeling. :)

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/205987-order-of-your-mods.html

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Mine had dresser bars already fitted when I bought it. I thought they spoilt the looks and offered only minimal protection so off they came and were sold on Ebay.
Renntec engine bars cost about the same, look better and give good engine side cover protection.
Other useful additions to consider - rear rack, centre stand, fly screen.
+1 on the Renntecs - just installed maybe a month ago...hope I never need them but they look great nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
The seat I didn't have too much of an issue with on the demo, I actually thought it was quite comfortable- I'm sure this will change after sitting on it for a few hundred miles, but we'll soon see.
I just got mine a week ago, and felt the same way - I found it very comfortable.
However, after just a 60 mile ride over the weekend, I'm afraid replacing the seat has become Priority #1! :skeptical

·
Registered
367 Posts
Triumph Dresser Bars are worse than useless, as, with the slightest encouragement, they will fold up and dig into your crankcase.

Renntec bars wrap around the engine so do not protect other parts (bars, tank) if you drop your bike.

Hepco and Becker crash bars are the same basic design as crash bars fitted to Meriden bikes and as such are immensly strong, do not fold up in a crash and protect more of your bike, including the tank (the internal shape of Bonnie tanks means it's impossible to pull/push out dents so they have to be filled or replaced at a cost of £500-£800 depending where you buy them).

I threw away the dresser bars and fitted H&B crash bars which I have used several times (riding in London), one particularly bad crash meaning that I had to have a man under an arch straighten the double steel skin with a hydrolic press (for £10). The rest of my bike had 'cosmetic' damage.

The stock T100 seat is more padded than the cast wheel plank. I've got used to mine/it's got used to me but I hear the Triumph gel seat is better although they get hot in the sunshine. Burton Bike Bits make Bonnie seats that are well spoken of and are reasonably priced (and free flowing mufflers). But a good seat maker will customise your original seat with extra padding if asked. There are plenty in and around London.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rich, I'm in a similar situation as I just picked up a brand new 2012 SE. I first thought I wouldn't do anything to it this year, but that didn't last. I've been out riding nearly every chance I get and found a few things I want to change. I plan to get a full exhaust - probably arrow 2 into 1, AI removal, O2 sensor removal, remove airbox baffle and snorkel, new map on the ECU (who needs a warranty after the break-in period anyway?). For handling, I'm looking at Ohlins shocks and finding some help improving the forks with better springs and damping. Investigating stickier rubber right now. The stock metzler's feel like skateboard wheels. After my last 300 mile trip, I'm also thinking a better seat may be in order.
In time, I may look at updating the brakes and adding frame sliders instead of crash bars.
This forum has been a great resource for updates and changes to these bikes. There's not much I can think of doing that I haven't found a thread about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the awesome feedback guys, I'll definitely look into the Hepco and Becker bars thank you jimbon.

I was considering the whole AI, O2sensor and Airbox baffle&snorkel route after my break in period. I fitted triple webers to my GT6 shortly after I got it and I have the say the induction roar is as pleasing to the ear as the exhaust note, so that's one of the main reasons wanting to do the airbox mods on this. - The added performance boosts are a plus, but not greatly necessary :)

I've had a little read around again, and there seems to be mixed reviews on removing the O2 sensor, wouldn't removing it cause the adaptive tune to be completely ineffective? And if you do do one with the sensors removed wont it bugger it all up? (I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to EFI I have to admit, so forgive me, all the information is a bit overwhelming)

Does anyone also have before and after dyno graphs of these mods to see what kind of performance boosts are being provided?

Also to the UK guys, a question about the TORS - how much unwanted police attention am I likely to get with them? Or are they quiet enough to go unnoticed? With my old classic cars you could do what you want and everyone would be none the wiser, but with a modern bike I'm not sure what it would be like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Read on a little bit further and quite understand the benefits of removing the O2 sensor now.

Going to the subject of the AI disable/removal, can you just switch it off in TuneECU rather than going through the whole method of removing it? or as some people have done... sticking marbles up there!

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very inquisitive and love to understand all things like this.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've had TORs and their appropriate carb jets (AI removed) fitted from new in 2007 and I've removed the restrictive snorkel (more intake noise) without having to re-jet. I've never attracted the least interest from authorities. I don't think noisey pipes are a concern for cops (although north Wales is said to be an exception).

So far, I think that Bonnies/Triumphs are looked on more positively than Jap sports bikes, for instance, and are not on the radar as suspect machines. Similarly, I've never had a problem getting an MOT with TORs fitted, although clearly you have to be sensible and go to a bike friendly MOT station.

One thing you should find is that MPG increases quite substantially with milage from new. Usually in leaps of a couple of MPG every few 1000s of miles. But the biggest change was when I removed the snorkel, which opens up the breathing a lot. The mixture runs a little leaner but this can't account for the several MPG increase this gives me. I think that the freer flowing engine needs less throttle so burns less fuel to get the same performace as the standard set-up - which says a lot about the real world efficacy of Euro bureaucracy's 'environmemntal' legislation - whilst keeping the airbox keeps the correct resonance/smoothness of air flow. Reading between the lines of reports on removing the airbox, it seems that power gain is only significant at high revs while the bike tends to run more temperamentally, with uneven mid-range torque delivery at lower revs, as a result. But I might be wrong if a bike with mods is properly set up.

With my Bonnie, as the engine has worn in and after removing the snorkel, fuel efficiency has risen from 36-38 mpg to 44-45 mpg around London and I find that I can get near 60 mpg on the open road if I'm lazy with the throttle and stick to around 60-65 mph

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
There is an interesting discussion in the tech section about the new Breathe intake mod. Some amazing numbers. Enough for me to order one. I can't wait for it to come. When it does I will remove the AI, 02 and retune.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just had a look through that thread, quite amazing information gathered.

I've also just solved my own question of the AI, and that it's just the light that is disabled in the ecu, not the system itself. So, it's shove a marble up there :)

I'm getting to excited by all this, my tools are already itching to go.. I haven't even got the bike yet!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The biggest problem with new triumphs is they DON'T need playing with. This fact upsets me alot and i have been tinkering with mine - but better thing to do is just ride it buy a basket case bike to tinker with and ride and enjoy your new triumph!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts