Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a brand new and first time owner of a 1969 Triumph Bonneville, I love my Bonnie. I got this bike in an old shed from a man who inherited it from his late brother. My original plan was to build a bobber cause they simple look bad ass. The only problem when I got on it and rode it through the back roads and around town I simply could not do anything except keep it in its original condition.

It ran great for two or three months then the problems started after I neglected it for about a month. I was out of the country and we had several bad rain storms. The bike was covered with a standard nylon bike cover but those are pretty crappy anyways. Well I returned and jumped on it to go for a spin, the battery was dead as expected. I charged it up and it still wouldn't kick start. After going through all the standard checklist spark, fuel and air. I found some water in the tank. I removed the tank and let it sit empty for a couple days to make sure all the water was evaporated. Put the tank back on. Tore the Amal carbs apart did a thorough cleaning and cleaned all the fuel lines. Also replaced the spark plugs, Went from a NGK B7ES to a NGK B8ES plug. After everything was put back together and new fuel was put in I got it running but its misfiring sputtering and wont idle. Ive messed with the idle on both carbs along with the fuel air ratio screw. No matter what I do it just wont stay idleing unless Im giving it gas or have it idled up higher than it should be.. Im thinking timing but I never messed with anything that would change that from when I first got it. Im going on 8 days of working on it and at a loss PLEASE HELP me!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also Where would be a good place to look for a new clutch cover mine has a minor crack in it and am just wanting a new one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts