Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Tiger 885i
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm new to Triumphs.

I spotted a nice Tiger 885i, and decided to take the plunge, and buy it as a plaything when I'm in the UK.
(I live abroad, and my usual steed is a KTM 950SM for Madeiras tight twisty roads and short journeys.).

Went to use it 14 days ago - dammit, the fuel pump died!.
Now fixed, and running.
I've never ridden a Tiger before, I have to admit, my first impressions are that it felt surprisingly familiar and comfortable..
Easy to ride, smooth torquey engine, nice handling - very nice.
Very happy with it - I think it will be ideal for the longer journeys in the UK (compared to my usual ride - the KTM)
And engines with odd numbers of cylinders do make nice noises - like the triumph triple and Land Rover TD5...

Very happy new owner.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

I haven't put the panels back on - this was the bike just after the test ride.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm new to Triumphs.

I spotted a nice Tiger 885i, and decided to take the plunge, and buy it as a plaything when I'm in the UK.
(I live abroad, and my usual steed is a KTM 950SM for Madeiras tight twisty roads and short journeys.).

Went to use it 14 days ago - dammit, the fuel pump died!.
Now fixed, and running.
I've never ridden a Tiger before, I have to admit, my first impressions are that it felt surprisingly familiar and comfortable..
Easy to ride, smooth torquey engine, nice handling - very nice.
Very happy with it - I think it will be ideal for the longer journeys in the UK (compared to my usual ride - the KTM)
And engines with odd numbers of cylinders do make nice noises - like the triumph triple and Land Rover TD5...

Very happy new owner.

View attachment 784325

I haven't put the panels back on - this was the bike just after the test ride.
Hi captain, welcome to the forum from another ausi Downunder 🦘🦘, enjoy the new ride,a lot softer than the KTM I would think.

·
Registered
2000 Tiger 885i
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, chalk and cheese.

Madeira is a small island, ride for an hour and you run out of island, so the raw and hard KTM is brilliant (And utterly mad). In the UK, it would drive me mad doing any kind of motorway work on the KTM. Hence the Tiger. I hadn't ridden one before - I'm very happy with it (apart from it springing a fuel leak now (O-rings on order).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh yeah, chalk and cheese.

Madeira is a small island, ride for an hour and you run out of island, so the raw and hard KTM is brilliant (And utterly mad). In the UK, it would drive me mad doing any kind of motorway work on the KTM. Hence the Tiger. I hadn't ridden one before - I'm very happy with it (apart from it springing a fuel leak now (O-rings on order).
You'll have to have a holiday ride up through Spain and into the UK and pick up some extra bits!!!!!🏍🚔😊

·
Registered
2000 Tiger 885i
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hit and miss. Some couriers charge their own “island tax”, but standard mail works ok. It’s a challenge getting parts from UK now, post Brexit, due to the corrupt and idiotic Portuguese Customs system and greedy couriers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Hit and miss. Some couriers charge their own “island tax”, but standard mail works ok. It’s a challenge getting parts from UK now, post Brexit, due to the corrupt and idiotic Portuguese Customs system and greedy couriers.
Man seems like you have your work cut out for you, there's some great people with good information on this forum, so don't be a stranger and some photos of what you're up to would be great 👍
What I'm up to at the moment!!
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2000 Tiger 885i
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking good there. Plan is to keep the Tiger in the U.K. as a holiday bike. It was so cheap - great value - but we will see. if I really get on with it, I might get one for Madeira too!

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
Hey Captainbeaky! Welcome to the forum. Love that Tiger!

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and talk with a great bunch of riders about Triumph bikes. Everyone here is very willing to help with questions or problems with your bike(s). I have personally saved lots of time and money thanks to the skilled help I have received from members.

Please post your questions in the sections related to your bike’s model. Most of the time you will get quick, informed responses.

As you cruise around the many different sections of this site you will find a wealth of information. There are technical sections for every Triumph model and chat sections for the same. Also, we have a classifieds section that is well worth checking out. (NOTE: You need to make at least five posts before you can post to Classifieds.)

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them. Read first before trying to post. Classified Ad Rules - Accessing Our Classifieds

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in. Biker Hang-Out

If you haven't done so already please fill out your Profile. Please make sure that your Profile includes the year and model of your bike(s), and as a minimum, your general geographic location. Knowing where you are can help us help you.

If you are a new or inexperienced rider, please look at New Riders - Read This!, as well as our General/Riding and Survival Skills section. Please feel free to post any safety or riding skill related questions you may have. Remember, the only "dumb" question is the one you don’t ask. The answers you get may save your life!

Here are the governing rules of the site and what can and cannot be done here: Acceptable Use Policy - Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining Triumph Rat!

I wish you safe, fun riding!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts