Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, My name is Tom Liberatore, until last week I was a fairly content fellow, but l made the mistake of accompanying my buddy Wayne down to MotoMeccanica in Santa Rosa to check out his Ducati Superlight's Staintune "spagetti" exhaust system's sound and get a reasonable facimile of a New York pizza. We were on our way out the door of the cycle shop when I noticed a row of new Bonnevilles and Scramblers with a white T100 being first in line, now Triumph and I go way back, I bought a new Trail 250 when I got out of the army in '71, replacing it with a '71 Daytona a couple years later. While attending college in Alfred,NY, [right in the snow belt!] I roomed with a guy from California who got me to thinking that life without snow might be possible. In the spring of '74 I loaded up the Trumpet and set out to find a better place to live than Upstate NY. In 10 weeks I went through 25 states covering 10,000 miles, cost $600. The only mechanical failure was a broken clutch cable in Wyoming, I was directed to an old auto junkyard, the fellow running it opened up this rusty corregated iron shed and inside were 2 new triples, one a Hurricane, a couple twins and some parts including a workable cable, from the outside you couldn't tell that this place had anything to do with motorcycles! I had to adjust my valves every other day and by the time I got to Colorado I realised that smoothness is a desireable quality in a motorcycle which lead to long relationship with Beemer airheads. That was spoiled when I went to New Zealand and rode my mate's Guzzi Le Mans and I've had Guzzi's ever since. I was fat, dumb, and happy until I threw a leg over that white and tangerine T100 and realised that someone had spent a lot of time figuring out how to hook sappy old farts like me. So I've joined your list to find out what modern Triumphs are all about, my test ride on a Scrambler is this thursday, stay tuned!! Have fun, Tom Liberatore - Pepperoni Bros. Racing

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Wish I owned a Flying Merkel. That would be worth several new Scramblers. Regards, and enjoy that test ride. Triumphs are indeed "the world's best motorcycle", as the original company advertised. A test ride or ownership of a Triumph will prove that fact.

·
Registered
866 Posts
"Sappy old farts"?????

Gawd but the truth hurts.....

Not only did I bite, I ended up swallowing the whole danm hook!!!

P

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hope your test ride is fun, Tom! What am I saying, of course it will be fun. You'll be riding a Triumph!

These bikes sure do have something about them, don't they? They even hook young kids like me...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm neither old nor young, and I think the Triumph twins are all bitchen bikes. Gotta change the exhaust to really get a proper Brit experience, tho.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome Tom. Word of advice - test rides with these bikes generally end in a purchase. Also, while you're at it why not test ride that white T100 too? :-D

BTW, is that an aluminum silver or a true white?

[ This message was edited by: toocaffeinated on 2006-11-29 14:45 ]

·
Registered
106 Posts
I took the Triumph bait..... about to buy a 3rd... wife none to excited but the bike (always were) are great rides and a big thumbs up to Mr. Bloor for doing it right.........Love riddin my Trumps....................................................................................
all other marquees are now just curriositys ! :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only demo that the dealer has is a scrambler, which I know won't ride the same as the white/tangerine T100 that scrambled my brain. Can anyone comment on the differences in the handling and engine performance that I should be aware of? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My test ride went pretty well, Triumph has done a magnificent job of modernizing the Bonneville while still keeping the original concept well in hand. When I discovered that white would not be a colour in '07, I laid my money down [deposit anyway]. Now it's scramble time, sell my beloved slime green Guzzi, weasel out the rest somehow, Hopefully this baby, nicknamed "creamsicle", will be in the garage by christmas!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Hey Peppy-good to have you in the Creamsicle club!! I love mine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.