Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just bought myself a 2001 Legend TT with 11,700 miles on it. I'm flying from Ireland to Liverpool to collect it Saturday 27th March and coming back on ferry from Holyhead in Wales to Dublin with it then riding up to Co Antrim where I live. Can't wait.
I've been "lurking" here for a few weeks but am a regular on the vintage and veteran forum as I own a '77 Tiger TR7RV.
I'm new to the Hinkley classic triples but have liked the look of them for a while.
I'd welcome any advice re what to check on the 'bike when I get it home....are they easily home serviced and maintained and are there any particular faults or "quirks" I should be aware of. How is reliability? I'm a motorcyclist of 35 years + and have had many bikes in the past both classic and modern.
Any advice appreciated and look forward to contributing to the forum here in the future.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Richard
Welcome to the forum.
New to this model myself so cant help yee with the faults to look for,but im sure some expert will be along soon.

Have fun on the new bike.
Syd

Im from Dundonald Belfast but recently moved to Newtownards,so maybe catch you at an event some time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Richard
Welcome to the forum.
New to this model myself so cant help yee with the faults to look for,but im sure some expert will be along soon.
Have fun on the new bike.
Syd

Im from Dundonald Belfast but recently moved to Newtownards,so maybe catch you at an event some time.
Hey Syd, thanks for the welcome! I see you also have a T160?? A mate of mine is bidding on a T150V that ends on ebay today...will be in touch when the " Leg End" arrives. I'm in Ballymena btw.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Welcome Rathlindri :)

Down in the 'peoples republic' myself.

The 'Classic Triples' are a gem of a bike, you'll love it, congrats on finding a nice low miler.

Generally these triples are very solid, 'over-engineered' is a phrase often used. Not much to worry about, routine servicing is little more complex than your Meriden mount. Shimming the valves is about as hard as it gets & that's nothing you'll have difficulty with. If it's not been done already, you might want to do that. Every 12,000 miles after the 1st 6,000. Myself (& others) prefer to lift the cams rather than use a valve tool. Shims are 25mm in common with quite a few jap bikes. If the bike's been stood a while, pilot jets can gum up a bit. Coils are a known weakness, causes misfiring up to 3k rpm, then fine over that. Nology aftermarket type is what most replace them with.
Plenty of help & info here anyhow.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mike,
Thanks for saying hello. Looking forward to enjoying the Legend. Will post a few pics when it arrives. No doubt many more questions to follow!
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. I haven't ridden my new Legend too much but enough to know I love it a hell of a lot more than my America. I think you'll love your's too.

Kem

·
Registered
51 Posts
Richard
Im round your part of the country all the time, i visit a lot of bike clubs up that way rock nights and rallies etc.
Here' a site below your friend must join when he gets his T150,anything he needs to know the following guys know the answer.
Syd

http://www.triplesonline.com/

PS:T160 is no longer in my stable,sold it to buy my Legend.
Old back was to sore to work on the T160 and they need to be kept on top off to keep them running.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Richard
Im round your part of the country all the time, i visit a lot of bike clubs up that way rock nights and rallies etc.
Here' a site below your friend must join when he gets his T150,anything he needs to know the following guys know the answer.
Syd

http://www.triplesonline.com/

PS:T160 is no longer in my stable,sold it to buy my Legend.
Old back was to sore to work on the T160 and they need to be kept on top off to keep them running.
Syd, price went over £5900...he didn't get it....probably just as well! How long have you owned your "Leg End"? Any problems so far?
Richard

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bought my Legend new 11 years ago. I chopped 9 inches off of the rear fender, changed bars and mirrors, powdercoated headers, installed jet kit, D&D slip-ons, 18:38 sprocket ratio, rear sets, vented airbox, and raised fork tubes in triple tree. Do all the routine maintenance myself. Have enjoyed riding and working on her and wouldn't change anything accept the wheels. I have the Akront aluminum rims and no garage. They require regular polishing due to the humid weather here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got my Legend in February real nice clean example,only done 50 miles on her so havnt found any faults or problems yet,have a Harley also so ive been using it mostly,but heading over to the End Of The Line MCC run today on Legend,so hoping all goes well with the bike,then later tonight heading over to Ancestors MCC St Paddy's rock night,do most of the biking events through the year to support other clubs.
When you getting your bike bet you cant wait,we are like big kids when it comes to new bike lol,noticed there was a Thunderbird for sale in N,Ireland Gumtree,also a guy advertising on Gumtree bike collection from UK mainland to Ireland for £130.00.
Catch you on the road.
Syd

ps: £5900 for a T150 the price have shot up on them, you could have gotten a nice one last year for around £3500,guess it's all about how bad you want one and price your willing to pay,dont really find Ebay cheap these days for classic bikes.

Thunderbird on Gumtree: http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/59/54872659.html

Syd, price went over £5900...he didn't get it....probably just as well! How long have you owned your "Leg End"? Any problems so far?
Richard

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Guys, collected up my "Leg End" as planned in England on Saturday (flew to Liverpool where vendor picked me up) and then rode to ferry in North Wales to catch the ferry to Dublin then up to home in N.Ireland. 260 mile round trip and 'bike didn't miss a beat. It's a 2001 with 11.5k miles only and in good order. Boy was I cold when I got home at 10.30pm!!
Nice machine if a bit undergeared in 5th.... reading just over 5000rpm at 70mph but engine is so smooth you'd hardly notice. However, I'd definately prefer "longer legs" and am considering 18 or 19 tooth front sprocket..... what experience do fellow owners have?? I don't want to mess with the number of links on the chain...

Also, when should the low fuel warning light come on?? I rode almost 40 miles on reserve at one stage on Saturday and it didn't light up...might be a duff bulb? How many miles are safe on reserve at normal 65-70mph speeds?
Looking forward to expanding on my impressions in future posts when the weather improves (snow forecast tonight! :( )
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Also, when should the low fuel warning light come on??

I didn't know they had one.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Congrats on picking up the bike ;)

Yep, no fuel warning light, just the 'reserve' tap, at 40 miles yer must have been running on fumes :eek:

I've had 18t & 19t sprockets with a stock (43t) rear & stock chain length. Running 18/42 at the moment.

1st gets a bit high with 19t, esp for 2 up or town/traffic riding. A lot of us have gone for 18t IIRC.

Gearing xls spreadsheet here will give you the numbers to ponder:

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/102048-17-in-wheels-front-and-rear-on-standard-tbird.html#post1232668

1 - 14 of 14 Posts