Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I bought my first motorcycle today. I saw the Triumph Thruxton, and it was love at first sight!

So today I bought a 2011 black Triumph Thruxton. I know very little about the bike, or about Thruxtons in general, or about how to insure it, about what kind of protection / gear I should get, or even how to store the bike. I have a LOT to learn.

Welcome any and all tips and suggestions for a total newbie, who is hoping to learn from everyone's experiences and tips. In particular, any advice from anyone that lives in Mahattan would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers!

Monkeyninja

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride! I'm in manhattan as well. My advice is to invest in a quality cover, and depending on where you love a very solid lock. Be wary of cabbies and always wear gear.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Simplyj!

- Do you have any suggestions re: type / brand of lock that I should buy?

- I live in Greenwich Village, but am planning on parking in a garage - any suggestions?

- Do you ride with full gear, or do you think I could get away with an open-face helmet / Jeans? I am not looking forward to NYC traffic, so don't want to take any risks!

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Several friends have use Ryder's alley with varying degrees of satisfaction.

Around the city I generally wear jeans, leather jacket and gloves and a 3/4 face helmet. I also wear motorcycle sneaker/boots. After a run in with a cab on 6th ave last year where my leather jacket and gloves definitely saved my skin I never go out without them.

I park on the street. Full insurance coverage + a cover + making friends with my neighbors and the guys who work at the parking garage across the street (they keep an eye on the bike) is just more convenient than putting it in a motorcycle garage and having to trek to the garage every time I wanted to ride just isn't my idea of fun. Plus I'd rather put that $200-300 a month towards mods!

Either way, welcome and enjoy!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, very helpful to know! Im thinking of parking at the Rising Wolf garage, have you heard of that one by chance? Seems quite nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts