Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am normaly on the speed triple 1050 board. At the start of the winter i bought a 1998 900 Sprint. It was in showroom condition it was breaking my heart to use it as a winter bike so ive got myself a 1992 Trophy 900.
Its got a few problems Ive pushed more than ive ridden it!
Mike the bike.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Welcome! You've come to the right place for answers to your T3 fix-up questions. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Irish 900 Trophy problems

Thanks for the welcome guys.(kit).
Yes I am on a quest to buy up as many models of Triumph as i can get.
Ive just finished a nut and bolt restoration of a 77 kh250 b2. That will become a Thruxton when sold.

My problems are when I start the bike choke full on it revs like hell.
I can only ride a short way quarter mile,choke on. it feels like its gone on 2 pots. and wont rev.

I striped it down and pulled the plugs no1 o.k. no2 and 3 very rich and black. Oh yeh huge plug gaps and No1 was a little loose.
As i removed the tank
im not sure that the pipe Fuel tap to carb was connected.

The bike had the sprag clutch replaced a year ago and hasn`t done much since. I wonder did the shop do a proper job on the rebuild. Theres a crack starting in No 1 carb rubber manafold. I will replace all 3 asap. And the air filter, Plugs as well to be sure.

So do I need a carb service kit?

Thanks for any advice
Mike.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Welcome. The 98 should have Keihins and they usually don't give many problems. Maybe just get them nice and clean if you have them out.

Regarding your very short rides, try polishing up all of the terminals to the coils, maybe even swap them around and see if the clean plug follows the #1 coil. It might also be time to clean your fuel system end to end and replace the fuel and vacuum lines just to get to a starting point. Running properly, that will be a nice bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edit and info

Hi Salifish.
I should have said its a 1992. The single headlight. When I look up parts they seam to be in the 1991-93 rather than 92-02.listings.
Engine No.004783
Chassi No smttc336ddn 004708
The plugs I took out are NGK R DPR8EA 9

Thanks for your input.
Mike the bike.http://www.triumphrat.net/images/icons/icon7.gif

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Hi Mike..

As soon as I start my bikes I knock the choke off to between 1000-1500 revs otherwise they do gallop away a bit, not what your wanting on a cold engine, I don't ride them with any choke once they have idled for a few mins just kill the choke and take off, chances are it will stall from having choke than without at that stage.

I had problems with my Sprint recently running on two, the problem would come and go, I had the carbs and air filter off twice doing this and that but ended up cleaning the whole fuel system... tank flush and seal, fuel tap rebuild, inline fuel filters fitted, witches hat filters at the carb fuel hose unions removed, carbs cleaned, two new HT leads..they looked fine but on closer inspection wouldn't clip home securely to the plug, I had already fitted a K&N new plugs etc a while back...oh and just for good measure a thicker vac hose fitted and re-routed & coil contacts cleaned..!

It worked and is now running fine, my next move would have been coils, pick up contact for the crank..basically the leccy gremlins that might be at play.

Bottom line is as your probably aware it's a process of elimination, but if you have the carbs off don't skimp, do everything you can while at that stage, it's a pain to keep pulling them.

Quick fix in the interim if your lucky may just to be run some RedX at double strength and see if it clears allowing you a bit less urgency for your maintenance ;-)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hi Mike. My '95 doesn't seem to like full choke for very long at all. When starting the beast I use full choke to start, then back it off to half choke as soon as it fires. I let it warm for a minute while putting on my helmet and gloves, then knock the choke off completely after about a quarter mile.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mikes Trophy

Thanks for your reply MOT. I love your speedy I also have a radial master cylnder on my s3 (brembo). Im jealous of your six pot calipers.

Im taking the bike into work tomorrow. I will strip it down and replace everything I can and go from there. I did clean the coil contacts but i dont think its eletrical.

My starting routine is as SEMUAS says choke on,half choke... gloves on,quarter choke to off. Im too impatient to let it warm up or it might be respect for my neighbours as the s3 has an arrow pipe.
Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Progress Report

I have gone to town on the trophy.
Wheels off to powder coat White will now be dark grey.
New tyres
Front and rear levers
Screen Tall and clear not black and cracked.
Brakes all round
Mirrors painted,They were very bad.
New grips.
Gear lever rubber. New rear foot rests.
Carb rubbers o rings etc.
Lots of things painted. Stainless bolts.
Its looking good The wheel you see is from my 1050 s3.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
missing photos

You can see how bad the inlet rubbers are.
I found some cheap and new Daytona end cans on Ebay I hope they fit.
I also got a right hand lower fairing pannel in bergundy,Need to be painted does anyoone have the code for Truimph BRG?
Thanks.
Mike The Bike.

P.S. The quest for old Triumphs rolls on.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Bernie is the King

Bernie ROCKS!!
Thanks for the code.Talk to my painter tomorrow.
Mike the Bike

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found some cheap and new Daytona end cans on Ebay I hope they fit.
Should do. Only thing you may need to change is the pillion hangers as at some point the Trophy hamgers became longer to give more pillion space. Easy to sort and about £35 - £40 each new fom triumph or possibly cheaper on e-bay.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update

Wheels came back from Power Coat. The IDIOT did them BLUE!
They are now Satin Black. The white was so dated. Tyres on tomorrow.

Oh Yea.... I went to the dark side and have just arrived back from England This evening with a 1200 1996 TROPHY in Blue.
Bum! my plan of having One Number plate and Five BRG Triumphs has hit a snag.
Mike The Bike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts