Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
Well..I have taken the plunge and yesterday I bought a 96 Trident 750.
Very nice and so far I am pleased with her.:)

However, she needs some new rubber and i wondered what the general feeling is about what suits this bike the best.
She currently has Bridgestone BT020 s fitted, but they are badly worn.:(

Any advice welcomed!

Roger

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The people over on the Sprint forum call the BT020s "Slipstones."

A lot of people here like Conti Road Attacks, myself included.

Congrats on the new purchase & welcome to the forum! :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
250 Posts
+1 on the conti
put them on my 750 Trident, a big improvement on the Bridgestones that were on it when I got it.
Welcome and congrats on getting a Triumph

·
Registered
92 Posts
hello mate,
been using pirelli diablo strata(came with bike), seem ok but nothing really to compare them to just yet.

just bought a pair of dunlop d220, off touring in june so didnt want anything too sticky or they'll be trashed in a week. and they were cheap, £115 deliverd for the pair. i'll report on them when i get back.

justin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KitNYC and Scarletfever...thanks for the input on the Contis.
I will be following that up for sure.

Village idiot....did you get the Dunlops from DK by any chance? Certainly seem to be cost effective!

The time to change the rubber is getting very close...obviously been riding too much this week.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my S3 with new Michelin Pilot Roads and have been 100% satisfied with them. They're pretty well reviewed as well and supposedly make for good wet/cold weather tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks to all for the posts. I have just returned from getting Mitchelin Pilot Road 2s fitted....came the long way home to scrub them.
Clearly far too early to say but all OK so far.
Alrey.....I have a friend who recently sold his ST1050, and had RP2 fitted, and had a set put on his new BMW 1200S. He strongly suggested me using them, and so did several other folks.

KITNYC....did you get good mileage from the Contis? a couple of tyre dealers told me they are fine, but return lower than average miles.
One thing is for sure...very few people recommended the Bridgestones again.

Will post again when I have some miles on them....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have ContiForce tyres on my Daytona 900. These were good when I first got them but after only 3500 miles the front has pocketed really badly and the turn in on the bike is now badly compromised, so I think I will have to change them.

So the comment that they don't seem to last well is certainly true for the Conti Force tyres. To be fare, the Bike shop did suggest a Road Attack for the front but as the bike already had an almost new Conti Force on the back I thought it would be better to keep them matched.

I may try the D220 dunlops if they are any good as I don't ride that hard and was supprised that I had worn the front out that quickly. I'm not that heavy either at about 10 and a 1/2 stone so I am not at all sure why the tyres wore that quickly. There is still quite alot of tread left at the back but I will probably change them as a pair anyway.

Andy.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Andy, are you wearing out fronts faster than rears? That's a bit odd...

Rog, I replaced my rear Road Attack at 8k miles. It had some tread left, but not enough for the NYC->TX trip I was about to take. I wore a Pilot Power down to the cords last year coming back from Texas; that had 9500 miles on it. I think 8500-9000 is probably about the max for either tire with my riding style on the RS. The Road Attacks are far better tires than the Pilot Powers, IMHO.

I think the front went on 2000 miles after the rear, which means it's just around 8500 miles now. Lots of tread left.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Kit,

Yes I do seem to be waring the front faster than the rear and its not like I am any kind of hero in the corners or on the brakes. Do you think this might indicate a problem with the forks, they feel OK to me but I don't have much to compaire them with, the only other bike I ride is a GPZ500.

I have been running the front at 36 PSI as recomended but it has worn unevenly and now the bike feels like it falls into corners. The rear has squared off a bit but still has plenty of tread. I found I could counter the front wear to some extent by increasing the pressure at the front but clearly I will be loosing grip.

Any ideas greatfully recieved. I'll have to replace the tyre whatever happens but I don't want to trash another one if there is something wrong.

Andy

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Hi Andy,

I know enough to tell you that it's unusual, but not enough to speculate about why it's happening. The only time I wore a front faster than a rear was when I had a sport compound up front with a sport-touring tire out back. (D208/D220) Maybe somebody with more tire knowledge will speak up?

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts