Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking to buy a T120 thats been bobbed and looks to be in good condition. Gonna take it for a test hopefully tomorrow but was wondering if you have any suggestion of things I should look out for before I make the deal. Its a 1970 Bonneville T120 thats been somewhat restored and looks fairly clean. Is there anyone who has knowledge of any specific problems this bike has that I should look out for?

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
You should look for a stamped serial number on the left side of the engine, just below the cylinder fins, and a matching number stamped on the left side of the steering neck. Hopefully the frame hasn't been bobbed and/or raked. Other than that, a number-matching title would be nice. 70 is a good year, the front engine mounts are small triangular removeable plates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should look for a stamped serial number on the left side of the engine, just below the cylinder fins, and a matching number stamped on the left side of the steering neck. Hopefully the frame hasn't been bobbed and/or raked. Other than that, a number-matching title would be nice. 70 is a good year, the front engine mounts are small triangular removeable plates.
Thanks for the info Paul.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Here's a site where you can download some useful info for the 70 Bonneville like manual, parts, pics etc.: http://classicbike.biz/

Not to many bikes sell just before winter in Toronto, especially bobbers. You should expect a deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
RUN!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE AND NEVER LOOK BACK! GO BUY A VINTAGE HONDA AND NEVER SPEAK OF THIS MOMENTARY LAPSE OF SANITY!!

It's too late for us, but there is still hope for you.

Welcome just the same. If you need therapy, you came to the right place.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RUN!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE AND NEVER LOOK BACK! GO BUY A VINTAGE HONDA AND NEVER SPEAK OF THIS MOMENTARY LAPSE OF SANITY!!

It's too late for us, but there is still hope for you.

Welcome just the same. If you need therapy, you came to the right place.

regards,
Rob
Lol well I hope I'm not getting myself into a constant project. Don't wanna be doing work between each ride just to be able to ride it I have a ducati that keeps me busy as it is. Ya I was looking to go with a yamaha xs or honda just from what I've read they are a little easier to work with but I don't know what sort of magical powers these european bikes have over me.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
A T120 will keep you occupied if it has not been maintained very well.Then,it might be reliable after a couple of years working on it.Biggest problem i have is nuts and bolts falling off and metal bits fracturing.Like mudguards,indicator stems,speedo brackets,Seat clips.Never seems to be the same part breaking and usually after a longish run at 6000 rpm.See mine at 6000 rpm on youtube.Type in mrstupid and all will be revealed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts