Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanna say hello to everyone here,

I am enjoying this forum for some time now, sometimes nice bullsh.t and occasionally nice constructive topics :-D

I've had my black S3 for about 18 months now, did 12000km on it and it still puts a grin on my face every time i've been riding it.
I've taken speedy to:
the Isle of man TT 2006 (no speedlimit on the whole island except villages :-D )
2000km in the alps
the czech republic
All places with al lot of B roads, twisties and hardly cops around, better then where I live in Holland.

Question: I haven't seen a lot af posts about high speed cornering. I find that on lets say 100MPH+ corners the bike gets a bit nervous in the front..adapting riding position and changing airflow helps but it's keeps nervous.. anybody ideas to reduce this lack of streamline effect?

Another question: i've got mine up to 158 MPH.. i've seen some faster numbers, but has anyone got an idea what the theoretical top speed is for a black one whith standard gearing and rev limiter?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
opps almost forgot!

I think that the S3 is prone to a little twitchiness at speed... I have seen a few steering dampers, one under the head, the other mounted on the right hand side engine mounting to fork. Maybe someone knows of a damper which fits on the upper tank mounting / steering head?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To my best knowledge a steering damper helps against tank slappers etc..so real "high speed" direction changes with a lot of amplitude..
Does it help for a rather slowly "whobbeling" front end,a little shaking of the head as well?

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
yeah Buster, that's IMO, that's mainly what a steering dampner is for, the high speed stuff. :hammer: You would prolly be amazed at the difference, I don't have one on speedy, but I have ridden many bikes with them. And welcome to the crazy house, do you really expect me to believe that a black S3 can run 158 mph? :hammer: :wink: :-D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
With the rapid deterioration of our roads here in South Africa, and ever growing potholes and the like a steering damper is often a life saver... hence my Fireblade's electronic system is an excellent system, sadly as yet unavailable as an extra elsewhere...

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I found my front end a lot more stable with a more "rounded" profile front tire, something like the conti road attack. I still use the Road Attack front tire no matter what I got on the rear.

Welcome to the nut house. :-D

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
I have had an indicated 250kph (155 mph) on mine, although knowing what most speedos are like, that`s probably a real world 230kph. It wouldn`t go any faster but I`ve only done 1200km`s and haven`t run it in yet. Once the motor loosens up it should be a bit better. POME1050 has had 255 on his, I saw the 'telltale' on the speedo afterwards.

The most likely reason you`re getting a cornering wobble at that speed is that you`re pulling on the bars. Even the most experienced riders do it on naked bikes. Instead of relaxing your elbows and steering, you`re just trying to hang onto the thing. You need big nads to relax your grip at that speed!

I took the Daytona 675 demo out the other day, here`s the 'telltale' after the trip showing 238kph (147 mph). Because it`s faired there`s no need to hang on so tight. I found it easier than my s3 on the 100mph+ corners, for just that reason.

[ This message was edited by: welshrob on 2006-12-14 14:51 ]

·
Registered
321 Posts
On 2006-12-14 06:15, Buster wrote:
[...]
Question: I haven't seen a lot af posts about high speed cornering. I find that on lets say 100MPH+ corners the bike gets a bit nervous in the front..adapting riding position and changing airflow helps but it's keeps nervous.. anybody ideas to reduce this lack of streamline effect?
[...]
Goeie naaf, hoe meer hollanders hoe beter.

High speed cornering? Not that brave...... :-D

I haven't noticed any twiching at the front but @ Zandvoort the cornering speeds aren't very high.

[ This message was edited by: 203MPH on 2006-12-14 15:57 ]

·
Registered
204 Posts
203MPH, where did you get that leather suit at? I'm guessing probably a Triumph dealer or something but that would be sweet!

·
Registered
321 Posts
On 2006-12-14 16:00, mnrider wrote:
203MPH, where did you get that leather suit at? I'm guessing probably a Triumph dealer or something but that would be sweet!
It's the Decima 2 piece suit from Triumph bought it at the dealer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds funny, but if you add some grip to your tank for your knees to hold onto, you will be amazed at the difference it can make on a naked bike. It is true that a lot of the high speed problems are due to the wind making you shake the bars, if you can grip with your knees you can relax a lot more and it smoothes out. Night and day difference for me. I do a lot of high speed corners, and don't have a damper. There is a nice set of esses about ten miles from my house and these are taken at about 120 mph, no problem!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes cheap black is faster but it does have a tendency to go down harder when you are at a dead stop!sean..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts