Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new owner of a phantom black street twin.

This is my first powered two-wheeler since I was a kid with a honda 500cc min-trail. Just a week into it and I am feeling very good about my choice. I am getting lots of street, highway, and slow-speed (parking lot) practice and it just feels good under me.

I have a newbie question about dresser bars. Seems like a sensible addition. I know they are designed to protect the engine casing in the event of a drop or slide. Will they also protect the pipes? Any actual safety benefit to the rider? Thanks and I look forward to contributing my experiences as I gain time in the saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
The safety feature is, It will help you from getting pinned under you bike.
... I am thinking about them also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed them on my bike (T120) and they are just enough to be able to protect the engine and pipes. I don't know if it will actually help in not pinning you down. There could be ways in which one could still be pinned.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I installed them on my bike (T120) and they are just enough to be able to protect the engine and pipes. I don't know if it will actually help in not pinning you down. There could be ways in which one could still be pinned.
If the bike is going down, keep your leg from getting pinned under it by drawing your knee almost up to your chin on that side. True, you gotta think pretty fast to do this, and not everyone can. Those who "freeze" are going to suffer severe leg damage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have dresser bars on my T120. They are primarily to mount my auxiliary lights (necessary to distinguish my bike from the 17 million scooters/mopeds on the road where I live)

Why are they calling them dresser bars and not engine guards? because they are not strong enough, or well enough mounted, to protect the engine in the event of an accident at regular riding speed.

They are fine for slow speed tip overs and will save paint and bodywork damage but don't count on them to offer much protection in the event of a crash at speed.

After-market bars when they come out may be stronger.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I originally planned to put them on my ST but decided I didn't like the aesthetic. I opted for aftermarket frame sliders from GSG as added protection for a drop. In a crash I don't think they would be helpful, and in fact might catch and flip the bike. But they are non-intrusive and maintain the sleek lines of the Street Twin. They were around $125 from Wild Hair Accessories in Arizona.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have dresser bars on my T120. They are primarily to mount my auxiliary lights (necessary to distinguish my bike from the 17 million scooters/mopeds on the road where I live)

Why are they calling them dresser bars and not engine guards? because they are not strong enough, or well enough mounted, to protect the engine in the event of an accident at regular riding speed.

They are fine for slow speed tip overs and will save paint and bodywork damage but don't count on them to offer much protection in the event of a crash at speed.

Farang, do you have pictures of your dresser bars with aux lights? I was thinking of putting aux lights on my t120. Would love to see pictures of how you set yours up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used Triumph dresser bars and added S.W. Motech Hawk LED fog lights + Hawk brackets.

Installation was easy (no canbus). The switch will need replacing as it doesn't fit the diameter of the bars very well, but it is on there for now.

Been raining for 10 days now, as the rainy season has finally started, so pics aren't too good.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
It would seem that a new crash bar needs to designed to protect the shifter lever. A couple of members have major repair bills from tip overs and messing up the shifting mechanism. The triumph dresser bars don't look like they would protect the shifter if the bike went down

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would seem that a new crash bar needs to designed to protect the shifter lever. A couple of members have major repair bills from tip overs and messing up the shifting mechanism. The triumph dresser bars don't look like they would protect the shifter if the bike went down

Im beginning to get the picture I really ought to avoid dropping it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
When the aftermarket comes out with what i feel is an acceptable crash bar that will also protect the shifter from tip overs, I'll be getting it

·
Premium Member
230 Posts

Some of the adventure bike have engine guards wrapped around the engine, like a roll cage.

As the basic bars are not made that way, I guess they cannot technically call them engine guards.

Back in the 70's we called them crash bars, handy when going to work in snow and ice and the country roads had three inches of hard ice and the hedges were solid snow drift like a bob sleigh run.

Bike fell over on the bars, you picked it up and carried on, at some stage the crash bar description was dropped for dresser bars, either sales led to sell more add ons, or the lawers decided it was a bad term to use if they folded up on a fast spill.

Some of the old wider bars used to ground before the footrests and centre stand, a couple of times I ended in the ditch forgetting they were that low.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If the Scrambler ones fit the Bonnie, I would have them. As it stands I may order them anyway and just install the left side. (I have a 2-1 exhaust)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When the aftermarket comes out with what i feel is an acceptable crash bar that will also protect the shifter from tip overs, I'll be getting it

Z5: Please post when you do, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
As GREEN TEA was saying above, if someone made those old type crash bars, I'd put em on. Retro bike, retro crash bars, right? They need to be powder coated black though. Everyone wants to avoid tip overs. But sometimes your just having a brain fart, then boom. Know what I'm saying?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As GREEN TEA was saying above, if someone made those old type crash bars, I'd put em on. Retro bike, retro crash bars, right? They need to be powder coated black though. Everyone wants to avoid tip overs. But sometimes your just having a brain fart, then boom. Know what I'm saying?

Yes, Exactly! I feel gravity lurking all around me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts

Thank you for sharing. Could you please tell me the sizes of the torx and wrench you used for this job ?
Some instructionssaid that the tank had to be removed so I was just curiousto know if that would be the case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
1,025 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Could you please tell me the sizes of the torx and wrench you used for this job?
I believe it's a 55.:headscratch

Reactions: groovind
1 - 20 of 30 Posts