Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone i have been browsing around and there is really a lot of great info on this forum, I was contemplating a new thruxton or a sportster i was wondering if any of you thruxton owners could give me some first hand on my purchase. i have already owned 2 triumphs in my life a 70 bonnie and a 71 tiger((both chopped and rigid) and i do so love British iron i am just not very familiar with the new triumphs IE:common issues quality and so forth and how well do the dealers help you out. Also i am currently stationed in Germany and to get the Thruxton I would have to go to a German dealer if anyone has experience with that it would help too

well thanks any input is appreciated
:-D
Vaer

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Being in Europe, you are in the right place to get a Triumph! About the only thing needed after your purchase for a Thruxton to out run a stock 1200 Sportster is an upgrade in suspension. The stock Thruxtonwill dust a stock 1200 Sporty especially in the corners. HP & Torque are in the Triumphs favor. Take a look at MecaTwin site and you can see what things can be done to both bikes to upgrade the engine. We can not get those kind of things stateside so easily. I do love the Harley as far as looks go and they are not bad bikes at all. Harley is talking about upgrading them even further than fuel injection, such as a Street Tracker version with usd forks, Brembo brakes ect... but their price may be out of sight. Get the Triumph, trick it out with the stuff you can get in Europe and bring it back to the states. Then you can get your Harley a dime a dozen if you are inclined to after having a great riding bike.
http://www.mecatwin.com/en/accessoires/index.htm

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Brooksie that is a pretty good setup they have available i went to the triumph dealer yesterday and i have to agree with you i like the thruxton better.I went to the dealership and checked out a blue one ,I think I have made up my mind. Once i get back from the desert "it will be mine ohh yes it will be mine" :-D

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Keep looking at the Sportsters :-D I too think the Triumphs, especially the Bonneville Black, are gorgeous bikes too but.......

Seriously though. You and I are in the same boat with the exception that I own a Sportster. I can't afford to have both and am teetering about trading/selling the Sportster but can't just get myself to do it, so I just admire from afar.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
On 2006-11-25 09:35, Brooksie wrote:
HP & Torque are in the Triumphs favor.
Thruxton: Maximum Torque 53 ft. lbs. at 6,400rpm

Sportster: Engine Torque 79.1 ft. lbs. @ 4000 rpm

I couldn't find a factory HP specs on the Sportster but after running mine on the Dyno, I am putting out about 73hp compared to the Thruxton's 69hp.

I'm not getting into bike bashing because there are a bunch of variables when it comes to "winning and losing" a race. From braking to handling to acceleration to.....

Remember now. I am not bashing - just stating the numbers. Hell, I love Triumphs and wish I could buy one

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well guys it really isnt about "blowing the tank off a sporty or a thruxton" for me i mean i like both the bikes i am kinda tall at 6'3" i have tried a sporty i just kinda felt "big" they are in the same price range and from what i have read, and after acutally sitting on the thruxton i think i have been sold......although 904cc big bore and kit from mecca wins......suspension setup better brakes..............maybe predators or d&d exhaust.............sporty???? where.......................................
hrm....................i just think i have cought the bug :-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts