Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody, this is a husband and wife team here...found this site!
I just got my hubby a 2000 sprint ST (love the way it pulls...fun ride)
Problems......ARGH... we took it in for service(tune up and check up)
The service shop called and said it had a bad fuel leak!:eek:
So they fixed it - and also said it was in good condition, we picked it up last weekend and found it was still leaking :mad:

Took it in again- now they say we should just sell it as it needs all fuel lines and that truimphs of that age are very unrealiable(unlike the Japanese bikes :p) can't belive he said that. We really like the bike.

Anyway after 10 minutes on line I found some recalls for the 2000, to do with fuel lines etc.

We are not impressed with the (authorized) service centre..
Sorry for the rant but have any of you heard of this being a really big problem?
We do like the bike, and thanks for having this forum up and running.

Jean & Gerhard

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Recalls on fuel connectors are very common on bikes of your vintage. I had both my Speed Triple and Speed Four recalled for fittings. Somehow, I don't believe the fuel lines should be a problem unless the bike has been sitting a number of years. Sounds to me your dealer is blowing smoke.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Welcome from all of us at TriumphRat.net

It's disappointing to have such a contrasting 'welcome' from an authorized service support group.

They are talking rubbish - even if the fuel lines did require replacement, that is not a life-ending sell at all costs issue! Nor expensive! You'd think the bike had mainbearing failure to hear suggestion like that.

What exactly did they replace? (or say they replaced!)
Did it leak before you took it in? Or did they break it?

It's a pretty simple set-up with only a few components/ connections and probably only one of which requires replacement.
Aside from the originally shipped plastic male connectors (which should have been replaced by dealer under recall) the most likely cause of leak is from one of the fuel fittings in the tank being cracked by poor installation technique. (Hence why I asked if was leaking before you took it in!)

These parts are all available after-market anyway and a good motorcycle shop (get references if possible), even if not Triumph specific, should easily be able to fix this for you. A triumph dealer will certainly have seen the fuel system before however & be familiar with the nuances of the Triumph dry-break system
(which makes the 'advice' even more galling!)

Can you possibly find another dealer to assist you?
That is simply the worst advice I can imagine any supposed Triumph service center issuing.

You don't say how many miles (or that would be clicks in your neighborhood) on the bike, but many bikes have many miles in excess of 50,000 (80,000K) and still going strong.

Stick with it - you'll both be happy you did - both for the bike and the wonderful community you will enjoy here!

The most likely source of leak is shown at the circled fittings

The one on the right is simple replacement

The one on the left a bit more awkward - that is the one that gets broken through mishandling of the tank during removal/re-installation.

Like Cat, I too am doubtful of the hoses themselves being issue, or anything beyond what you see in the pic.

There are actually metal after-market parts available (OEM are plastic) and for peace of mind, might be good counsel to just replace both pairs.

There are cetainly other areas that could leak - the pump plate gasket for example, but this again rare whereas the pump fittings are not uncommon.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feed back
I had heard plenty of good things regarding triumphs. I had only ridden japanese bikes all my life. I think the dealer just doesn't want to deal with us. I will speak with service mgr tomorrow and go from there. Again, thanks for the help.

gerhard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from all of us at TriumphRat.net

What exactly did they replace? (or say they replaced!)
Did it leak before you took it in? Or did they break it?

Can you possibly find another dealer to assist you?
That is simply the worst advice I can imagine any supposed Triumph service center issuing.

You don't say how many miles (or that would be clicks in your neighborhood) on the bike, but many bikes have many miles in excess of 50,000 (80,000K) and still going strong.

Stick with it - you'll both be happy you did - both for the bike and the wonderful community you will enjoy here!
They replaced one fuel pipe assy. We had not noticed a fuel leak before taking bike in for minor service and inspection after purchase. On the second repair they replaced a cracked o ring. We are picking it up tomorrow. The bike is originally from US, and has 24,000 miles on it. The service center said all fuel lines are "hard as a rock'" and will give me lots of trouble in future. He also said the parts were very expensive. There is another dealer in town that services Triumphs. I don't want to bail on the bike, because my wife has fallen in love with it. She originally bought it for me because she took over my vfr. :p

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Stick with it Weride Trumpies are reliable did over 100,000 km on my 2002 Sprint and was still going strong when I traded it in on a new one last year. My 2002 Sprint was recaled for fuel fittings replacement with metal ones.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome mat out

Welcome to the Sprint forum Weride.:)

DEcosse has given you most wise and correct advise.

The dealer is talking nonsense on several counts. I would be inclined to complain to Triumph America about that dealer as they have given you a total bum steer.

On the reliability front, when well maintained these are as reliable or more so than any Japanese made bike.

My '04 Sprint ST has 62,000kms on it and many of those have been very hard riding two up, it pulls like a train and steers around corners like a Rhino on heat.

Don and I ask all our new members to please read our forum stickies:)

Cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
.... My '04 Sprint ST has 62,000kms on it ...
weride - once you are around a little longer you will find that this is similar to the 'dog years' scale
i.e. Dave's 62,000kms can easily be transposed to 184,000 kms by a 'typical' rider!
Hint - have a browse through his gallery at the tires & you'll get the idea!

:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone.
We got the bike back, they replaced the O ring -at no charge!:rolleyes:

So far so good, no gas smell in the garage as of now and no puddle on the floor.:)

We also spoke to the other service centre -got a good vibe from the owner and they stated that they do a lot of repairs on triumphs from that dealer.
It seems as though they just don't want to tackel the work if its very involved.
So we will take it in to them next weekend -it's due for a major service-we knew that- 24000 miles on it- so we are going to save up for the cost of it all and have it done at the same time over the next month or so.

We will keep you posted it really is a sweet ride...we won`t give up on it.
Jean & Gerhard

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
weride - once you are around a little longer you will find that this is similar to the 'dog years' scale
i.e. Dave's 62,000kms can easily be transposed to 184,000 kms by a 'typical' rider!
Hint - have a browse through his gallery at the tires & you'll get the idea!

:p

Thank you DEcosse.

I guess the "dog years" scale is a fair comment:D I am a bit brutal on tyres. (read very brutal)

And Weride you will find DEcosse a very technically able moderator here, we have several really helpful tech type members here and we are lucky DEcosse is one of them, he knows his onions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you DEcosse.

I guess the "dog years" scale is a fair comment:D I am a bit brutal on tyres. (read very brutal)

And Weride you will find DEcosse a very technically able moderator here, we have several really helpful tech type members here and we are lucky DEcosse is one of them, he knows his onions.

:D Looks like you really have fun leaning over - :D for sure your tire dealer must love you... LOL

Yes we are glad to have found this site!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts