Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the pair of these horns on their Thruxton/Bonneville?

I'm having a little bit of difficulty and at least blew a fuse trying to use both.

Right now I've just got one set up, using the existing wiring with no modification and it's MUCH louder, but I'd really like to get the dual tone going.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
In order to avoid blowing the fuse you need to install the relay that should have come with them. You hook the original wiring to one pair of terminals on the relay (someone will chime in with pics or the exact terminal numbers) and then you hook a wire coming directly from the battery (preferably with its own fuse) to the 3rd terminal and the horns to the 4th terminal. This will allow the horn switch to activate the horn but not provide any power to the horns. The stock fuse is not made to accomodate the amount of power these hornse require. Neither is the factory wiring for that matter. If no one gives you pics or a link to a different thread soon I will go get pics of my setup. I used supertones for about a year and loved them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I do not have them on my bike, but I've had them on my Scirocco for a while and love using them (although I hate that I have to). They really wake people up!
:)

As stated earlier, you need to use a relay in order for them to work properly.

When you get the install done, can you post a diagram or pics of how you setup your horns? I'm interested in installing another pair, but on my motorcycle this time.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Here is my bike before I installed a different horn somewhere else. I painted them black because the red was a little too bright.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my bike before I installed a different horn somewhere else. I painted them black because the red was a little too bright.

that looks great! i think i'm going one on top the other.

but i guess my question is about the wiring. the instructions included didn't make a bit of sense. it seems they have no wires going to the positive terminals of the horns at all.

i'm going to try this schematic from another site, suzuki bike i think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not have them on my bike, but I've had them on my Scirocco for a while and love using them (although I hate that I have to). They really wake people up!
:)

As stated earlier, you need to use a relay in order for them to work properly.

When you get the install done, can you post a diagram or pics of how you setup your horns? I'm interested in installing another pair, but on my motorcycle this time.

All done. Here's the gist of what I did. If anyone has questions about further details, I'll do my best to stay tuned to this posting.

I purchased the Hella Supertones, which came with an included relay for about $50 on Amazon.

The above wiring diagram worked perfectly for me. For the horn wires, I ran the existing black horn wire to what is labeled in the diagram as the Blue wire and the other wire to what is labeled as the grey wire.

I didn't use any additional hardware for mounting, just what I could find already on the bike. This first shot is where the lower horn was mounted. The upper horn was attached to the the bracket which originally held the stock horn.

The second photo is where I attached the relay up under the tank. There was an existing threaded hole which I happened to have a screw for. This is on the left side of the bike.

And then finally, what they look like on the bike. I'm going to try to post the video here to but am not sure that'll work.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There's a simpler one on this thread, two really: one for a complete new system of wiring directly from the battery and another that requires no mods to existing wiring and just adds the relay:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/168338-stebel-tm80-magnum-horns-on-my-bonneville.html
thanks forchetto! you're always a great help!

i found success with the diagram and got here done. i don't know if they're ten times louder than the stock horn, but they will definitely turn heads now!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
10 times louder, maybe not but I loved having mine on. When I moved my horn to under by battery box I just couldn't fit them in that space so I went with a small electric airhorn. It doesn't have the same obnoxious sound but it works.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All done. Here's the gist of what I did. If anyone has questions about further details, I'll do my best to stay tuned to this posting.

I purchased the Hella Supertones, which came with an included relay for about $50 on Amazon.

The above wiring diagram worked perfectly for me. For the horn wires, I ran the existing black horn wire to what is labeled in the diagram as the Blue wire and the other wire to what is labeled as the grey wire.

I didn't use any additional hardware for mounting, just what I could find already on the bike. This first shot is where the lower horn was mounted. The upper horn was attached to the the bracket which originally held the stock horn.

The second photo is where I attached the relay up under the tank. There was an existing threaded hole which I happened to have a screw for. This is on the left side of the bike.

And then finally, what they look like on the bike. I'm going to try to post the video here to but am not sure that'll work.
I know I'm bumping an old thread but I was wondering if your top horn is connected to where the stock horn used to? I thought it was mounted higher, on the bolt with the black rectangle around it.

I'm asking because I'm in the process of mounting my Supertones too and would like some suggestions. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts