Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Heed crashbars & spent more time removing the packaging around the bars than installing them :D
Instructions are clear enough.
Useful infos for installation:
-OEM engine mount bolts: Torx T55 and 17 mm nut.
-Heed engine mount bolts provided: Hex allen HW10 and 19 mm nut. Torque in the manual servce is 80Nm

You better have long & thin fingers and the right wrench because the nuts behind the radiator are a pain. Installed one side after the other, keeping the bolts a bit loose, everything went fine and I tighten everything only at the end. The OEM engine bolt on the left side had an extra 4-5 mm spacer/washer compared to the right. Did not put it back with the new bolt.

Result: perfect fit, great look, my knees are far from the bars (a good 10 cms). At that price (280$ CAN including shipment, delivered in 10 days) I have to say I'm impressed by the finish and quality. Ultimate test is to drop the bike but I'll wait for that :)

Two bonuses I see with these bars: a great frame to place a homemade oil radiator guard/grille + aftermarket side bags (have to do some shopping to see what would fit)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks Nice! I'm curious if it needs another bar to help protect the tank. To me it seems a bit open, maybe it's just the angle. I have a 99 tiger and have been looking and finding this that are really exspensive. I do like the way this one looks. Do you have any pics of the mounting areas?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is open but way more tank protection compared to other brands like Hepco & Becker which only reach the bottom of the tank. There is a good 1-1.5 inch between the bars and the tank.
Here is a pic of the front engine mount at the radiator level. The rear bar mount is bolted to the rear engine mount.

Below are pics (not mine) of the front bracket mounted with U bolts to the frame just above the radiator on which the two bars are bolted in the front under the headlight

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks to be a good protection set up. I might see If I can figure a way out to make it work. Thank you sir!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Pastaman, it looks like taking the tank off will not require anything unusual with the Heed Bars installed, correct?
Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tanks Pastaman. I'm doing the electrics now too, so I think I'll leave the tank off while I install them. Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gts and Pastaman. I have used the large size Aerostich tank bags for 22 years beginning with an R1100GS. They just barely worked on my girlie, knees pressed into the sides, but not uncomfortably so. I don't carry a lot of hard items in them.
I will be installing the Heed bars tomorrow. I will see what mods are required to use my bags and let you know. Take a couple pics too.
I'm heading out on a 3k mile trip on Sunday, and am waiting for a rear wheel bearing for the sprocket carrier bearing. If all goes according to plan, you'll see a post in the next couple days. If not, ???.
Being a born optimist, with reservations, I believe you will hear and see the results by Saturday.

Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey @Wah64apache

I hope you had a great trip. Any update regarding side bags fitting the Heed crashbars?
Hey Pastaman. Sorry for the long hiatus from posting. I took the iPad with me but just didn't turn it on. Having too much fun.
I covered just short of 3,650 miles, 7 states, including Texas and 3 weeks to the day. Spent the weekends with friends and family except the 1st and last Sunday's. Rode less than 200 miles on freeways, never ran out of gas but got close in New Mexico.
The Girly performed flawlessly.:grin2:
Unfortunately, I didn't get to install the Heed Bars as I couldn't find my 55 star. When I get through the "honey-do's" I will put them on with the new star I ordered before I left.
Although I can't comment how the tank Paniers will work with the Heed Bars, I can say they worked fine without them. I just didn't attach the rear stay straps which go under the gas tank. That allowed me to lengthen the rear 'over the tank' straps and have it sit on top of the fuel cap. This allowed me more room for my knees and had no negative effect on the bags at all. The front stay strap kept all steady. They were loaded and heavy and that helped also.
Once I get the Heed Bars on I will mod the Tank Paniers and send some pics with a write-up.
Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, great thread on the Heed bars. I'm a new poster, but I've had some experience with these bars over the past year.

FWIW, I ordered Heed bars from Poland last year after an accident (guy ran a red light, feeling fine thanks for asking) that claimed my previous set of bars from Touratech (I believe). During the hunt for replacement parts, I found they didn't make those Touratechs anymore, so I went out on a limb and tried the Heed bars. They were priced in my budget and looked pretty tough. The dealer doing the repairs installed them for me and I have not yet had to take them off myself. A mechanic in town who performed a TPS sensor replacement this Spring (above my skill level) told me that he had to loosen the bars to get my tank back on without scratching it up. The rub marks on my Tiger stripes attest to this fact. Planning on doing my own valves here soon, so I'll circle back and update when I find my gumption.

The only thing that puzzles me about the bars.....What highway pegs can I bolt on to the bars? None of the ones I'm seeing seem like the right angle? Sure do miss those pegs. The search continues.

I CAN tell you that all the bolts are on there good and tight, the build quality is nice and I've had zero problems. I can also confirm that the shipping was fast and trouble-free. Honestly, the packing job I saw on these bars must've been spearheaded by Cosmonaut Engineers or something. They were SECURE. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I Just received the below email from Heed: Anyone any ideas?

We don't have products dedicated to Tiger 885i.
When it comes to crash bars, mounting points are the same as in our crash bars for Tiger 955i. However, we didn't have a chance to check if they fit Tiger 885i without any problems. (e.g. crash bars may colide with air cooler )
Regards

ZPH "HEED"
Częstochowa, Poland

1 - 20 of 43 Posts