Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch lever has a heavy pull. In stop-and go traffic, clutch work is a pain and my hand ends up pretty tired.

Is this normal? Do all Bonnie's have a heavy clutch? Is there anything simple I can do to lighten the clutch feel?

Cheers

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not sure if it's the same with the newer models, but my 2007 has an adjuster on the lever itself marked by numbers 1-4 that allows me to adjust the tension of the lever for that very reason.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Not sure if it's the same with the newer models, but my 2007 has an adjuster on the lever itself marked by numbers 1-4 that allows me to adjust the tension of the lever for that very reason.
That knob adjusts the distance from the handle to the grip - nothing more.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Right -
That's correct. I just found it easier to squeeze when it was closer to the bar and thereby reduced the strain on my hand.

But, that's just me

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would say you're right OP. I have a Daytona 675 and the clutch on that is easier to pull....but only slightly. I rode someone's Duc Monster a month back and pulling the clutch on that seemed like I was doind forearm exercises

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I would describe my bike's clutch as pretty light, particularly when compared with my previous bike, a Ducati, which have notoriously heavy clutches. The Ducati caused me pain but the T100 doesn't. Does the action feel rough as well as heavy? If it does then try lubing the cable. If it's still under warranty get your dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Try my Ducati Multistrada for a while - when you go back to the Triumph, you'll amazed by how light it feels. Seriously though, get one of those gel bags and use it for a couple of weeks. And make sure there are no unwanted bends or kinks in the clutch cable and that it is well lubed. Possibly the dealer didn't put the cable in the proper location when the bike was uncrated and assembled.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I Wonder....

I was just wondering if you can put a longer "lever" on the actual case where it enters the clutch housing? Making a better lever action?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A longer lever really won't help because leverage increases the further you get from the fulcrum point. If you go with a long lever that goes out past the bar end, it is worthless because you run out of bar to pull against. Try adjusting the 1-4 lever so the lever is closer to the bar. That should make it feel easier.
Another option is to go to New Bonneville.com and look at the Pazzio levers (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). They are expensive but might be more ergo for you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Funny, I think the Bonnie has a very light clutch. That's one of many of its "new-rider-friendly" characteristics, and is also the reason why people who raise the HP on their bikes (even as little as 10 hp) usually have to put on new clutch springs - the clutch itself is light enough that it won't hold with even mild increases in power. My little Stella scooter's clutch is only slightly lighter, and with any clutch work it ends up being heavier than the Bonnie's.

Sounds like you need a different lever (or adjust the one you have if it's adjustable) or start doing some hand exercises, because it's not going to get much lighter than this.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Your bike is easyer to pull then the early ones of these bikes because you have the longer later lower lever.Unless you have a bad cable or something you wont get a easyer pull.Stock these bikes have a light clutch pull.You might want to go to the dealer and see if the other bikes seam the same as yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts