Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a Gerbing vest & gloves on a 06 Triple?
I can't quite figure out if there is enough output to avoid running down the battery. Just trying it could leave me stranded alongside the road.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Absolutely no problem. I use the Gerbing jacket, and some heated grips as well. I'm sure you could add the Gerbing pants, socks, and an illuminated dancing hula girl without taxing the system.

Incidentally get the full jacket liner, not the vest. It's not bulky, and you'll really appreciate your warm arms. Also, follow their advice and wear a long sleeved t-shirt under the liner. This evens out the heat nicely.

~Crash

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Your liner will come with a female dongle that wires directly to the battery (or how I did it, to a solenoid activated by a switch on the bars.) The dongle just hangs down inside the body work so you can plug it into the liner's male dongle. When not in use it's easy to tuck up under out of the way. The liner's wire comes out at the left side waist.

This works well, because if you forget to unplug before getting off the bike they just pull apart. No breakage or tripping.

All the parts are very high quality, and if you wish you can mount a heat controller either permenantly to the bike or somewhere on the jacket.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but my bikes all torn down right now.

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2006-12-01 19:31 ]

·
Registered
182 Posts
crashmasterd is absolutely correct. This is my first winter with heated gear, and I don't know why I suffered through twenty winters without it!!!

I have the electric leads permanently attached to the batteries of all my bikes. And they can all handle the electric draw without a problem. Incidentally, I use the whole she-bang: gloves, jacket-liner, pants-liner, and socks, and the Speed Triple donesn't break a sweat.

[ This message was edited by: AaUuuuGaa on 2006-12-01 21:56 ]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.
I'll try it today.
The reason I was concerned was that the manual seems to indicate an output of 30 amps and a running draw of 20 amps before lights and other things. Vest and gloves draw about 6.5 amps.
Then again I find the electrical stuff a bit confusing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats on the gerbing gloves. If you are daring enough to ride below freezing then you should at least be as warm as possible. I have a friend that thinks unless he is suffering from frost bite that you must not be a man if you are using heated gear. I like heated gear because you can ride longer all year round. I know the gear won't pull your battery down too much but with the long crank times on our bikes I would definitely plug it in at night to a battery tender of some sort. I went to Radio Shack and got a lead that matched my gerbing power outlet form the bat and plug the charger into that so I don't need a bunch of extra wires.
Enjoy the warmth :flam:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
On 2006-12-02 23:31, xSpeed3x wrote:
I'm confused!!!!

What is all that heated stuff for????
Some girls don't like the cold!

·
Banned
798 Posts
Well, you got me curious now. Are these liners very bulky?? If you have to wear a layer under them, then the liner, then your heavy outer jacket, does it all get a bit thick??

I guess youre supposed to wear long underwear under the liner pants also??

It'd sure be nice to ride on days like we've had recently in Dallas with wind chill at or below 20 degrees standing still in my backyard.

kjazz

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I don't think it's bulky at all. My old standby (before) was a thermal top, turtleneck, and a heavy sweatshirt- all under my jacket. That was far more bulky, and not nearly as warm. The Gerbing jacket is about as thick as an unlined windbreaker, and is made out of lightweight nylon fabric. Together with a long sleeve t-shirt they're less bulky than a single sweatshirt.

I was skeptical too. Not anymore.

The heated neck is a nice touch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts