Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,
i am thinking about getting a heated waistcoat or jacket (for under my main jacket and i was wondering what experiences you have had with heated gear and which brand would be best for me in scotland? and its recently been hitting -7C (dunno in farenheight sorry guys) but i also would love somthing to keep me going on cold summer days without cooking me alive.

There are so many fantastic empty roads in winter here but i just cannot manage a long ride out with the gear i have at the moment.

biggest factor is price unfortunately best bang for buck suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a gerbing....

heated vest and heated gloves that connect to the vest. I highly recommend it. I am a pretty cold nature person and ride through our winter with no problems as far as temp goes, was riding in the low 20's (f) a couple of weeks ago and was comfortable.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If I lived in the UK I would look at the exo2 line of gear. Quality stuff (they make Triumphs) but it is expensive and the jacket does not have heated arms.

For USA gear you have a couple of options:

Gerbings, old standby ripped off the heatroller from warm&safe, really crazy sizing charts. I am not a big fan of this stuff, and they are 15 miles from where I live. I like my jackets thinner than theres and I don't really like the gloves but it does all plug in together.

Tourmaster, nice gear, really bad controllers. The controllers break all the time but are supposed to be better. The gear is not usable with anything but the tourmaster controller. Not my favorite gear as the coats are thicker than I like.

Warm & Safe or Firstgear. I like this stuff the coats are really thin, with no insulation in them, which is what I like. If you don't like that then this is not the stuff for you. Because of the thinness you can and will feel the wires. The gloves are really nice. Now I would get the Firstgear stuff as the warranty is easier to deal with than warm&safe even though it is the same gear.

New kid, +Venture, no wires used instead they use a mesh that gets hot so nothing to break. This gear is thicker and looks better than the reast (except exo2). Haven't used this stuff but have a full order in for jacket, gloves, pants and insoles. What can I say I don't like to be cold. I do know two people who have tested it and they liked this gear better than anything else.

The controllers and therefore plugs for the warm & Safe, +venture, exo2 and gerbings all work together. So any jacket, pants and gloves should work with any gear. The tourmaster uses the same plugs on the gloves, but a different controller so gloves should interchange with other gear, but controllers won't.

Also when purchasing heated gear it is best to try it on. You want the jacket to fit snug to acheive good heat transfer. The other thing to think about is having seperate controllers for jacket and gloves, as I find my hands get colder than my torso. Also you want the controller easy to adjust when riding. I find myself changing heat setting based on how fast I am riding. I think if we rode a bike with big fairings and a giant screen this wouldn't be needed but on the sprint it is.

Thats it for now I will check to see if the tourmaster jacket plugs into warm & safe gloves tomorrow and update this post then.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Optimo

Check out Hein Gericke as they a) have a huge sale on at the mo and b) I am sure they were advertising a whole range of it or it was in this week's MCN magazine

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been using the Gerbings long sleeve liner in my Joe Rocket summer mesh jacket, Gerbing Union Ridge pants and Gloves. It has kept me toasty down to 20F. On an hour and half ride(highway speeds) at that temp my right thumb and toes were getting cold. I use the dual controller which seperates the pants from the Jacket/gloves but it would be nice to turn the gloves up a little more. The whole setup cost about $600 I believe. I was too afraid to look at the bill.... It has been totally worth it since i love to ride and have put on over 3500miles since getting the setup in November.
Just don't forget to unplug the heated gear before you shut the bike down or risk draining the battery. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have the Triumph heated grips (GREAT) and a Tourmaster heated vest with collar (they also do one without the collar, trust me, you want it). The vest has three temp settings and so far I have never needed it above low - all I wear with it is a long sleeved shirt underneath and my Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 (mesh) jacket & liner over the top and I am TOASTY down to around 28F (not been out in lower yet), so I am pretty certain that if I turned the vest up a notch or two I would be warm at any temp I want to ride.

If you get cold arms easily, go for a jacket with arms - I don't and didn't want the bulk restricting me (which is why I used to hate bundling up).

Don't just take my word for it ;) http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-motorcycle-clothing/tourmaster-synergy/vest.htm

·
Registered
441 Posts
checked out the heated gloves, and the tourmaster, gerbings, warm & safe and or firstgear gloves work with each others jackets.

But like I said if I lived in the UK I would look real hard at the exo2 line of gear.

http://www.exo2.co.uk/

gary

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I use the tourmaster heated jacket liner and gloves. Love the liner, hate the gloves. I have used the liner when it was 32 outside and I was warm and toasty on the lowest setting. Liner is a bit thick but does the job, gloves do keep my hands nice and warm too, but hate the lack od feel I get from the bike when using them. Gloves plug right into the liner and also has a lead for pants. I have heard of a few people with controller problems, but I have not had any.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use the Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner. I can't remember using it on any setting other than low but don't typically ride below freezing. No controller problems though I have read about them. Haven't tried the gloves but I have never read one positive word about them. I've heard the Gerbing's gloves will plug in to the jacket liner but haven't verified that.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Well it seems that Widder is going t*ts up, but the site is still running and it looks like some of the gear is on sale. I have a high- collared vest that they private labeled for BMW a few years ago which has been proven to be a very nice bit of kit, durable and heats like the sun. I purchased a basic on/off coiled power cord that plugs into the Triumph power socket with the vest and both items were an excellent investment.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Aerostich is having a sale just now on some of their line.

How you will wear it seems key. I like to wear my old vest (a Widder) close to me, with a fleece and shell over it to keep the heat in. So you have to judge how much room you have in your shell, and how much bulk you can tolerate in your shell. The 'stich jacket liners aren't cut very close, because they're designed to fit in the Darien shell. Or so I understand. The wife and I are waiting on ours right now...

The early morning ride here has regularly been between -9 and 0 Celsius.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've used Aerostich heated gear for years now. Top quality and they stand behind it. The only drawback is that the heated liner does not have provisions for connecting electric gloves, which is only a problem if you're planning on using heated gloves.

We sold warm & safe gear at the shop, and it looked like good stuff too. No complaints or returns from customers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts