Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've just changed my Speed Triple R 2017 to a 2019 RS, I was led to believe that heated grips were something that came as standard on the RS, I'm not someone that has to have heated grips but if it's meant to be then it's meant to be and mine doesn't have, I was wondering if someone with better knowledge than myself could help me out please?

·
Registered
2020 Thruxton RS
16 Posts
All I know is, once you have heated grips, there's no going back. Anecdotally, in all my buying experiences across multiple brands, I've never had a bike which came with heated grips as standard equipment. They were always an add on accessory.

·
Registered
2020 Speed Triple RS, 2006 BMW R1200S
170 Posts
I too thought the heated grips came standard in the UK.
The Oxford grips are very good, I have had several sets on various bikes. You don't need a separate relay, just connect them across the battery as Oxford says. The Oxford temperature controller turns them off a set time after you stop the engine, or when the battery voltage drops below a threshold, I'm not sure which, but they have been trouble free for me.

That said, I'm considering using the Oxford grips, without the controller, connected instead to a cheap motor speed controller with 12V through a relay energised by the number plate light circuit. Idea is that, obviously they absolutely cannot flatten your battery, but they also remember your heat setting as soon as you next turn the ignition on (you didn't move the knob on the temp controller). You don't need to set the temperature again. Part B of the plan is to connect my electric socks to the same controller, there's plenty of current capacity available. I'm hoping the same controller setting gives a good temperature for both the grips and socks. So each time, I'll plug in the socks and ride off without setting temp separately on both grips and socks, which is a hassle now. It's actually the socks more than the grips which changed my life, they really are indispensable in winter.
IanB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey there!
Today I will be picking up 2019 Speed Triple RS.It comes with a number of add ons, but not with heated grips.
Did some research and i decided to go with Triumph grips.
Part number A9638304
100091580-0-2

Installation instructions: https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9638304-EN.pdf

Reason why I'm going with the Triumph as opposed to Oxford is the OEM look. I rode the Tiger 1200 with the OEM heated grips, and was quite happy with the heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts