Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Sprinters
Anybody got a wiring diagram for the above Triumph Accessory ?, having trouble with mine and neither the Triumph Manual(or Haynes) detail anything after the accessory plug. Am currently puzzling why the cable from the Rocker Switch has three wires going into a two pin plug and give two levels of heat??
Any help most appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep Killer, thats what I was struggling to understand, the short harness from the Rocker switch to the two pin plug has three wires, a pink (which seems to be of a greater gauge wire), a brown and a blue/green. The pink and the brown appear to come together at pin 2 of the two pin plug yet do not share continuity? with the rocker operated one way pink and blue/green connect and with the switch the other way brown and blue/green connect so must assume blue/green is the power supply to the switch ? Hence the requirement for a wiring diagram and before I rip the front of the fairing off ( again ! ) to have a check on the relay operation..i do have the Triumph fitting instructions for the Heated Grips Kit but that is of little use in fault finding..............happy days

·
Registered
27 Posts
The pink and the brown appear to come together at pin 2 of the two pin plug yet do not share continuity? with the rocker operated one way pink and blue/green connect and with the switch the other way brown and blue/green connect so must assume blue/green is the power supply to the switch ?
I don't have the triumph heated grips so I don't know the actual wiring schematic. All I can suggest is take an incandescent test light and verify your power and grounds coming into the system. Presuming, the heated grips aren't working at all it's likely a power, ground, or control/switch issue. Fairly, easy to solve once you start identifying wires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Killer, thanx for your reply and , as you say its looking like back to basics....best endeavours ahead, cheers

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yep Killer, thats what I was struggling to understand, the short harness from the Rocker switch to the two pin plug has three wires, a pink (which seems to be of a greater gauge wire), a brown and a blue/green.
The blue wire from the plug to the switch carries the supply voltage, which comes from the relay that is part of the Heated Grips kit and is not shown on the bike schematics. The relay itself is located near the ECU under the LHS cockpit infill.
The Pink and Brown wires both lead from the Rocker switch to the same pin on the plug as you saw, but one of them is a high resistance wire, and the other a lower resistance wire.
The switch simply chooses either the high resistance wire (for low heat setting) or the low resistance wire (for high heat setting) to carry the current to the same plug. From there it is split into two paths so it can supply both handgrips.
The return path from the grips is earthed somewhere else (I'm not sure where) and doesn't come back through the plug.

I've drawn up a schematic. I dont actually know the colours of the wires between the first and second plugs, or from the second plug to the handgrips, So I just continued with the colours from the accessory plug for the first section and chose light blue for the second section.
The colours to the accessory plug are correct, and the colours to/from the Rocker switch are correct.

Hope it helps.

cheers, Keef.

Heated Grips Schematic.png
Heated Grips Schematic.png

1 - 8 of 8 Posts