Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying an '07 Bonnie after selling '05 Rocket.

Spoiled by the heated grips on my Rocket. Does anyone here have heated grips on their Bonnie? If so, who makes them? Cost?

Thanks.

ride on

rick

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Rick, I bought heated grip wraps by Aerostich.

Link

They are $45, and have a couple of leads that clamp onto the battery and they simply wrap around the grips. There's a little on/off switch on the side of the left one.

They're cheap and work ok, and are very easy to install. The real benefit is they are easy on/off, so if you have more than one bike you can move them quickly.

Negatives: they seem to only heat about 1/2 of your hand, and they get pretty hot. So 1/2 of your hand will be freezing, and the other medium well done...

I rode about 75 miles last night in high 30s/low 40s and I was glad to have them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2006-12-04 07:22, rick05rocket wrote:

Spoiled by the heated grips on my Rocket. Does anyone here have heated grips on their Bonnie? If so, who makes them? Cost?

Thanks.

ride on

rick
Rick,
I installed a pair of Dual-Star grip heaters under the stock grips and they work great. There wasa thread a few weeks ago discussing it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2006-12-04 07:22, rick05rocket wrote:

Thanks.

ride on

rick
Rick,
I installed a pair of Dual-Star grip heaters under the stock grips and they work great and are inexpensive..about $30 plus shipping. There was a thread a few weeks ago discussing it.

If you are good with wriring it will not be a problem. I used a swithced connector under the tank to power a relay that powered a fused supply to the switch. The switch has 3 positions, on low and high. I oreder the optional dash mount switch for a few dollars more and madea housing for it out of 3/4" copper tubing that mounted under the bars on the right hand side. Here is the link to see the
switch

·
Registered
679 Posts
I replaced my stock grips with the Oxford HeaterZ grips and they are spectacular. Much warmer than the Triumph grips on the Tiger, have an analog heat control, and are a little larger than the stock grips which I like. I just wired them into the accesory plug that is attached with blue tape to the rail under the gas tank. The only caveat is that you need to have 7/8" bars which is true on the Scrambler but I am not sure about other model.

Fred

P.S. Wired in this way, they need to be shut off manually which took a few weeks to create the habit.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Fred - the next time you have the fuel tank off your bike, you might want to re-wire your grips into the 'switched' outlet That way, when you turn off the ignition, the heated grips are turned off too. If you can remember to shut them off every time, your current setup is ok, But, at my age, I have a difficult time remembering to put the side stand down when I park! I'd never remember to shut off the grips.

Bob

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you can figure out the wiring (US to UK), Harley heated grips should work (they both have 1" bars). You may have to use a Dremel tool to take away a tad bit on the inside of the throttle so it mates up with the receiver on the Triumph control housing (I've seen it done a couple times).

They make a "Nostalgia" grip that looks like a vintage Triumph grip and is very comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts