Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That time of the year again, at least on the east coast. Temperatures are starting to dip into slightly uncomfortable territory. I for one am not a fan of bulky cold weather gloves - even the "intermediate" ones for autumn riding. I have a very nice pair of leather BMW riding gloves that I can probably fit a silk under-glove inside, but even that seems like it won't be enough soon and I'd like to keep riding at least through November. I won't try and push it much further than that - into the garage until April, sadly.

But I was curious if anyone had any experience with after market heat warmers on the Bonnie. I found a couple options, and they all seem to have some pros and cons.

These I think would be the absoute simplest solution, since I only need the things for maybe 2 months out of the year and don't necessarily want to have to mount a permanent switch that I'll rarely have to use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OXFORD-Hot-Hands-Heated-Grips-Yamaha-Norton-Triumph-/200813416269

Cheap, simple, easily removed in warm weather. But I'm a little concerned about slippage on the throttle. Curious if anyone has ridden with them. Then of course there are the permanent variety installed underneath the stock grips:

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/heated_grips/16025.html

Plenty of variety there but they all seem more or less the same. Obviously no question about slippage since you keep the stock grips, but a more complicated installation and a switch mounted somewhere on your controls - not the end of the world but I like things tidy. And, of course, there are replaceable grips:

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Oxford_Hot_Grips.-ref-16941-8604-2374.html

Most expensive option, and really only seems necessary if you plan on doing a ton of cold weather riding, but probably the most efficient since the entire unit is designed to be heated. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can tell you which won't fit well...
http://www.amegrips.com/motorcyclestreetheated/sport-bike-heated-chicane-grip

They feel high quality, but since they are new to the market, they don't have a throttle cam which matches the one on my Scrambler (I assume it's the same as a Bonnie). The actual grip (the rubber part) was top notch, as A'me is a quality company, but I didn't want to mess with trying to make a cam fit.
I'm just mentioning this in case you find the Chicane grips in your search.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just installed the full Oxford Hot Grip kit on my scrambler last week when I changed the stock bars for some ProTaper aluminum bars.

I had used the symtec kit before on a WR250, and liked it a lot. It seems to me they got hotter than the hot grips. I was also surprised at the increased vibrations after the hot grip install, and I'm not sure if the new bars had a part in that or not. But after all is said and done, I'd rather have bought the symtecs and some vibe reducing grips.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I've used the same stuff as what casporttouring is selling for years on several different bikes with one change - ditch the included off-low-hi switch for a heat-troller so you can have total control over how much heat you get.

Here's a page with some good info on installing them. It happens to be on an FJR1300, but having installed this gear on a Daytona, a Speed III, a Sprint, and a SV650, I can tell you the write up is plenty good to get you there.
http://www.fjr1300.info/mods/heatedgrips.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use the chemical heat packs that are available for winter camping and hunting. I install them between the backs of my hands and my gloves. Hours of comfort for less than a dollar and no worries about slippage, wear, or lack of electrical capacity.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I use the chemical heat packs that are available for winter camping and hunting. I install them between the backs of my hands and my gloves. Hours of comfort for less than a dollar and no worries about slippage, wear, or lack of electrical capacity.

I've wondered about that for a while, as that's what I use on my feet. But don't you get frozen finger tips?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've wondered about that for a while, as that's what I use on my feet. But don't you get frozen finger tips?
Well, I don't ride much below freezing, so actual frostbite isn't an issue. But no, my fingertips are not uncomfortable. Maybe because the gloves are insulated, so the entire airspace inside the gloves is warmer than ambient. Maybe because the heat packs transfer heat to the arteries in the backs of my hands, and the warmed blood then heats my fingertips. But they're cheap, so why not try a couple and see if they work for you?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks Neil, I intend to give them a try. My wife picked up some from Walmart this week. Unfortunately it's still hitting the 90 degree mark around here. It's like fall is teasing us occasionally, but is too shy to stick around.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I have a set of the Velcro over the grips type heaters. They are comparable to heated grips. Not as good as heated gloves. I have to remember to put them on or carry with me. Slippage has not been an issue. They add some bulk to the grips but they come off easily when you don't want them. I'm not wearing out the wires in summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts