Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 900 Trophy is fitted with Triumph heated grips. Went for a run over the weekend and at one point put the heated grips on for about 30 mins. After about 15 mins l noticed that the throttle grip was sticking and would not snap shut when released but had to be closed by hand. When the heated grips were turned off and they started to cool, the throttle started to work normally again.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hello, Shepp,

I've got them on my '02 1200 and it's happened to me as well. I'm using a Throttlemeister and thought that it was expanding just enough to bind a bit on it. Have you checked to see if the rubber "flare" is touching the switch assembly on the r.h. bar when it sticks? It's not the end of the world, and I'm used to rolling it off manually as I set the Throttlemeister to hold it just enough to allow me to relax my hand when I'm riding.

Hope this alleviates your concerns: Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I guess its something i'll have to live with, just seems a little strange.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Shepp,

I wouldn't live with it.

Take a half hour and disassemble the throttle grip and look for rub marks on the handle bar. Maybe there's a high spot, maybe a bit of crust, or old dead spider. Clean it out, maybe lube the cable while you're there. Put it back together, and make sure it "no sticky" no more.

Sticky throttle grip's bad.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
OOOPS!! Forgot to mention that once the grips are warm and start to bind, I switch them to the low heat setting and the binding goes away.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my memory the most: Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts