Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok don't expect much sympathy as I ride in Florida. However, for us thin blooded folks riding in cool weather is tough on the hands (when you cant' feel them), even with thicker gloves. Since I wouldn't really need to use that often was thinking of one of the temporary installed grip heaters or going to heated gloves. Both seem to be less expensive than the Triumph heated grips.

Any pro's or con's of using either???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Real men don't need no stinkin heated grips

Hey Randy. .the lowest air temp I saw this am was 53.6, and it was nice and sunny. You and Simon seemed warm enough at Ma's . Buck up man ! We Limey riders endure in stoic silence.

·
Registered
56 Posts
RT,
I've got the stock heated grips on my Tiger and they work really well; almost to the point of being hot. However, we've started to get into the freezing range here (lowest so far, 31 F) and I find that my fingertips and backs of my hands get a bit cold. I'm using a non-winter gloves with a liner. I call them non-winter because they aren't mesh or vented like summer golves but they also are not a full lined winter golve. Anyway, due to the fingertip chill, I am planning on going with the heated glove; especially since we can get into the teens once Jan. and Feb roll around. Since you are quite a bit warmer than we are here, I might just stick with the grips. They suit me just fine down into the 40's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not had my Tiger through the winter yet but heated grips and handguards on my gs got me through 3 Scottish winters without any frozen digits.

+1 for heated grips:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
A few years ago I installed a set of Oxford heated grips on an Aprillia I owned. They worked really well and made the cold(ish) rides much more bearable. A couple of things to be careful of though when fitting them. As you need to super glue them on to the bars and throttle twist tube, make sure they are positioned correctly and go on all the way before the glue sets. I stuffed the throttle grip and had to buy a new set. I eventually sold the Aprillia with a spare left heated grip.
Also, make sure you wire the grips so they go off when you turn off the ignition otherwise you WILL leave them on and the battery WILL go flat. Otherwise ... go for the heated grips!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Randy. .the lowest air temp I saw this am was 53.6, and it was nice and sunny. You and Simon seemed warm enough at Ma's . Buck up man ! We Limey riders endure in stoic silence.
Yeah, cause you guy's sleep in late before you get out. It was friggin cold at sunrise on Sunday. Had 3 cups of coffee by the time you saw me it Ma's. Than you wouldn't pay the dang bill............................hehe.....................

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
From Arizona......where it's a dry cold! I love my Witter heated gloves. The gloves and heated vest give me the flexibility you need in the desert. I can start the day at 20 degrees and end up at 80 degrees in the afternoon, comfortable the whole time!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The cheap (free) way to toastie hands

Next time you fill the bike up look in the station for the FREE vinyl gloves, used for putting diesel in the car. A pair of these under your gloves will stop all wind and wet getting through.

Also when you have that sodden glove moment and can't get your hand back in past the wet lining, use the vinyl gloves and they just slip on !!

They are also good for not getting your hands dirty when your friends GS breaks down again!!

Remember its the cheap vinyl gloves not the medical rubber ones !!

·
Registered
63 Posts
One thing I've always disliked about winter gloves is the loss of feel on the throttle because of the bulk of the gloves. But, I just tried the Olympia Cold Throttle gloves and they are brilliant. Nice and thin inside the palm for good throttle feel (and to let the heat through from my heated grips!) and good wind blocking and insulation on the outside of the glove.

Not perfect, but the best I've used so far.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a pair of really good (and quite pricey) Gore-Tex Alpinestar gloves which are really warm, but aren't very flexible and, unless conditions are pretty bad, I like to use my Triumph, three season gloves which I bought in Germany a couple of years ago after my Hein Gerike '100% waterproof' ones had given up the ghost in the monsoons!

The Triumph gloves are waterproof and really comfortable and when it gets colder, I have a pair of Oxford Chill-Out inner gloves that add warmth, but still let me have all the feel I need(!).

All that with the standard heated grips keeps me going down to -3 centigrade...at least that's as low as I've ridden in.

I use the grips on 'low' quite often if I'm out of the house early on a spring or summer morning and the sun (in Scotland...what's that?) hasn't warmed up yet!

Ride safe!

Ken...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just had the Triumph Heated Grips installed, and they make riding right now in New England (25 F This am) actually quite nice. I use mid weight winter gloves (bought about 15 years ago so I don't know the brand). I just wish I had not waited so long on the grips.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oxford Hot Hands:

Pros: Easy on...easy off...easy install...easy price!

Cons: If left on while away from the bike, could drain battery...comes with an idiot light built into the switch though. Using a relay as part of the installation would also eliminate that circumstance, if that's a worry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OXFORD-HOT-HANDS-HEATED-ELECTRIC-WRAP-OVER-GRIPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a1Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120329437125QQitemZ120329437125QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
One problem with heated grips and very good insulating gloves, is that you can't feel the heat from the grips through them, as they insulate you so well.

Might be a better idea to go for thinner gloves (more feel) and heated grips.

Although I've never tried them, heated gloves just sounds too fiddly with all that wiring, etc.

Good luck with your choices :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
For your area, heated grips would be adequate. I have several bikes with them, and they work great. When it gets really cold, heated gloves perform much better....

Cheers....

·
Registered
658 Posts
Only one option. Gerbing electric gloves. Not too bulky, and when used in conjunction with the jacket its a real winner.
But as you are in warm land. Why not fit the optional hand shields. They are worth 10 degrees and are a real asset in a spill. I have a set of beemer 110 ones and they are the dogs danglies....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use both. I have the heated grips for 32 and above. I also use my Gerbing heated gloves for 23and below. Hands have been warm in 12degrees with the electric gloves,And warm with the grips @ 32.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts