Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a pair of heated grips on my 06 Tiger. I found some Oxford grips. They fitted up no trouble at all. One of the features was the controller. It was electronic and completely sealed. It turned itself off if the voltage dropped when idling for too long, or the bike was turned off without turning the grips off. So I thought I would fit some onto my 09 America. I went to the shop. Yes we have them in 1” but you have to cut the ends of the grips, not too much trouble I guess. But the controller! It’s large and bulky. It is a large box with a knob on it. It seems you can have a chrome box or a black one. Neither looks good to me. Also when you look at the control box it is not sealed underneath.
Are there any other brands of heated grips available?

Here Downunder it appears the only ones available are the Oxford brand. I have done some searching but have not found another brand, anybody know of others???

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I have a pair of those Oxford grips that came with the big old controller- I cut it off and fitted an illuminated toggle switch, it looks a lot neater. The way I see it, the adjustment knob is pretty pointless, it's either cold enough to switch them on, or it's not.

If you wire the feed into a switched live there is no danger of leaving them switched on.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Hi there, I have Oxfords on my CBF but have decided on the Bonnie that I didn't think they would look right. I've had an auxillary socket put on the bike specificaly so I can use heated gloves a few of my friends have recommended them and on the plus side I can use them on any bike. It maybe something you haven't thought about.

I do know that Oxford in the UK do two versions of grips one of them specificaly for the larger grips that cruisers use.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have installed them on a few bikes including my last one...a Victory Vegas. The best way is most invasive which is...make your own and therefore can retain the stock grips. It requires a bit of surgery however and some know how in terms of wiring. The black box you refer to is nothing special...just contains resistors. You can add these discretely inside the headlight...use 10W ceramic resistors...and can also have the heat in two stages...how I normally do it because you want high power initially for rapid warming which maybe too hot over time...kind of like automobile seat heaters. There is a nuance with grip heaters that relates to heat transfer. Invariably the left hand grip will be colder than the right hand grip. Why? because the bar robs the thermal mass from mylar heating element. So wrap the bar with rubber tape on the left hand grip if going this route and you can detune the right grip heat by adding a resistor. Heat balance can be tuned with resistors if particular.

Here is a thread I put together which will show you some of the steps. It is a bit fancier than you need because I performed internal wiring through a drag bar to suit the high style of that particular bike. Not necessary with a Bonneville.
Hope that helps,
George
link:
http://forums.thevmc.com/bb/forums/...sts=73&highlight=heated+grips&highlightmode=1

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've used the Polly brand grip heaters with no problem. The ones I prefer are cartridge type heaters and fit inside the bar. The result is no moving wires to flex or wear and break. They will fit in any bar with an inside diameter greater than 5/8". They have a HI and a Lo heat range but I've never used Hi as Lo is quite warm. The only thing I didn't like was the look of the toggle switch that came with them. I replaced it with a better looking substitute.

Don't know what it would take to get them to your part of the world, but you can find them here: http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Davey...
Polly heaters won't fit in stock Bonneville bars.
Cheers,
George
Okay, I don't own a Bonneville yet so I haven't tried on those specific bars. What's the problem with putting them in? Bar end weights in the way or something?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here Downunder it appears the only ones available are the Oxford brand. I have done some searching but have not found another brand, anybody know of others???
Hi there

I have just put some hot grips on my America and they work a treat.
I could only fine the same ones.

I put the controller between the bar clamps and at 90 deg's and as far forward as I could.

It does not look to bad and you can turn the knob with one finger and is harder to see as it is part hidden.
It will not fit under the bars as the bars will press on the knob.

It will on the Speed Master as they have different clamps and bars.
I also wired it in to the park light and have disconnected the park light as you do not need as the head light is always on and I do not park up my bike with the park lights on.

As I have used the other Oxfords grip and think you could use that controller with the larger grips as they have the same plug and are rated the same power.

I was going to, but after finding a nice place for the chrome controller I did not.

The other controller with all the Leds can be a pain at night as the blue one is bright.
With the Chrome one on its side you can not see the light in the day.
But can see it reflect of some of the chrome at night and as it is wire to the head light you can not leave it on.

I may run a heavy wire to the controller and use a relay and use the park light wires as the trigger.
So it gets the max power to it and so it does not over load the thinner wires used to the park light to be safe.

Some how this turn it to a bit of a rant.:Dang:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Dave...bonny bars have plugs welded on for the end caps. Also wouldn't work for me because I as well as others have bar end mirrors. The other issue with the internal heaters is a pretty substantial difference in heat between the left and right grip. This is because the plastic throttle tube under the grip is almost a perfect thermal barrier between the grip and bar. This can be tuned with adding resistance to the left side. Guys...the box that you are speaking of can be eliminated completely. No reason to wory about where to mount such an eye sore. Just mount the guts from inside the box which are only resistors inside the head light. You can put the switch anywhere. If you look at the link I provided, I mounted the switch under that tank with an aluminum bracket I made on my Vegas.
As to where to wire the heated grips to...with respect...wiring the heated grips to the parking lights makes no sense. If you want a good connection spot to the bike harness...locate my running light DIY I posted and attach the heated grip + to the brown wire off the ignition switch that again runs inside the head light. That way when you turn the bike off, there will be no power left to the heated grips. You will want to mount a toggle switch someplace of course as you will not want to ride with your heated grips on all the time. Mounting the switch under the tank is a good spot to keep the bike looking stock if that is your intent.
Hope that helps,
George

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went back to the local bike dealer and he had made some enquires with the Oxford people. It appears that the small electronic controller also fits all models. He was able to supply a controller by itself, which he did a cost. He also said he would keep it in mind that I had the larger box type controller and would contact me if there was somebody wanting a set of the 7/8 grips with the chrome box controller.
Thanks to all who assisted and offered advice.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just want you to know that you don't need a controller box period. You also don't need a rheostat control knob. Many that have had different bikes with heated controls simply use a 2 position toggle switch...high and low...mounted out of sight to preserve the original look of the bike. Any resistance tuning can be done inside the headlight bucket.
Good Luck,
George

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Biker7.

Good link. I will have a chat to the guy over the road. He is a electronic techie and will know exactly what you are on about. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put Hot Grips on my T100 a few months ago, and I really like them. I've taken a number of rides in the morning where it's been in the high 30's / low 40's, and I've been amazed with how much more comfortable my hands have been. The entire grip is heated, and the heat is very even left to rigtht. Hot grip's variable controller is pretty small - about 1.5" dia, 0.75" thick. I mounted it under the tank on the right side. I'm sure it would have been a big improvement with just a hi/lo switch, but now that I'm used to being able to set it wherever I want, I don't think there's any going back. I don't see any reason why this controller wouldn't work with other brands of grips. Also, I installed a disconnect relay undeer the tank with a separately fused heavy wire to the battery - probably overkill, but it was cheap and easy and eliminates any concern about blowing fuses. By the way, installing the grips was another story - quite the pain to get them to fit on the throttle sid - but still very much worth the effort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts